Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Writing Prompts 1 and 2

1. Is Hell really that bad?

As stated in a previous blog:

"Hell. When a person degrades their soul and loses sight of their humanity and acts out of cruelty and hate making others suffer -they go here. It is not a happy place. I wouldn't even say it's a place for you to wish people to go to. It is a place of torment, violence, pain, loneliness, agony, wretchedness, fear... A place for criminals to drown in the crimes they've committed against themselves or others. People get weighted down or dragged down to this place. Never hope anyone goes here. Only hope they find their own salvation out."

To be more specific, I agree with the way Anne Rice described Hell in Memnoch the Devil. It is a place where people wander blindly. It is a desolate plce where people bump into those around them, and full of fear and rage lash out at anything that draws near. They scratch and scream and cry out. They feel no love or hope. In this state they exist until they find themselves again and rempent, pray for forgiveness, overcome themselves, and move forward with teir existence. Rarely if ever do people in this state make it out.

2. Don't stop forgiving yourself.

This is an interesting topic because today our ToastMastress Regina mentioned keeping a gratitude log. She said writing 5 things you are grateful for every day makes you appreciate life more. Forgiveness and Gratitude seem to go hand in hand. Forgiveness is letting go of your wrongs or somebody else's. Gratitude is appreciating yourself or someone else's good deeds. Forgiveness is therefore more difficult and challenging and thus more important and significant.

People always have problems letting go. They hold onto grudges and disappointments. But forgiving yourself for your wrongs and short-comings is often the hardest because we do these things regularly without thinking. You're an idiot and a failure when you mess up and embarrass yourself. You're a loser when someone won't be your friend or doesn't want to hangout with you. You're pathetic when you won't work up the courage to ask someone an important question because you're afraid of their reaction. You're a coward and a nobody special and a joke and a...

Very few people have it in them to be this cruel and heartless to anyone outside of themselves. And yet internally they are always cutting themselves down for not reaching their own expectations and ideals -for not being "perfect". And in the end it comes down to Love. Do you love yourself or do you hate yourself? When you love others unconditionally and you realize God loves you unconditionally, why don't you love yourself unconditionally? Why is everyone but you caring about and appreciating you?

Self-loathing is telling yourself all the negative things you are and will always be. Self-loving is telling yourself you are more than your flaws and have greater potential to live up to and will one day reach it because you know you can. Forgiving yourself is essential to succeeding in life. It is essential to understanding who you are, overcoming your faults, and achieving who you aspire to be.

I beat myself up every once in a while -usually with self-doubt. More like, "Why couldn't I do what I needed to do? I knew I can do it, but I lacked the confidence in myself to see it through. Why do I always do this? Why do I always suck at having the confidence to believe in myself to achieve my goals?" Irony. After I fail I question why I always fail. We breath negativity into our esteem and then it gets lowered and we're stupid enough to ask ourselves why.

It doesn't happen very often though. For me it is a challenge, coming from the lower end of the self-confidence spectrum, to give credit and praise where it is do. I use to think I wasn't anything special, but over the past couple years I have learned how unique I am. I have learned to appreciate my talents and no longer hold my flaws against myself. I use to beat myself up for being shy -now I am not shy, I am overcoming shyness. I am not a failure- I am overcoming failed attempts at success. I am not weird or strange -I am leading my own life and it is therefore different from the lives of others.

You are not your flaws. You are not your mistakes. You are not your doubts. You are not your fears. You are Overcoming them.

7 comments:

  1. "When a person degrades their soul and loses sight of their humanity" --- I have zero faith or reverence for humanity, alone. Only when it is combined with (as you would say) "The Divine" does it mean anything. But humanity without God is merely animalistic.

    "In this state they exist until they find themselves again and rempent, pray for forgiveness, overcome themselves, and move forward with teir existence. Rarely if ever do people in this state make it out."

    --- It's amazing how Catholic you are. =) You are doing it subconsciously. I always believed that Catholic false doctrine was founded on innocence and good intention, and you are living the proof for me right now. You have truly helped my sermon for this Sunday. =) We will eventually get into the topic of hell as it comes.

    But I believe one never gets out. The time to repent is NOW...not then. Then it's too late. Then it is the reception of punishment.

    12

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know how you can say that someone's belief involving Hell or the afterlife is "false doctrine" when it's All belief on the Unknown. We can't prove anything is fact. Heck, we can't technically prove there is even life after death if you're looking for hard, clear, distinct, concreted fact.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You just said that faith > proof in another blog.

    So here's my logic:

    I have a Lord. A Master. Someone who I give 100% faith into. His Name is Jesus.

    As far as I'm concerned, what He says is more truthful than all truths that we know.

    In fact, His Truth is so True, when all other truths fade away, only His Truth will be left.

    Jesus describes Hell as "a place where this is weeping and gnashing of teeth"

    "everlasting darkness"

    "a lake of fire"

    "where the worm feeds, but is never sated".

    Jesus died and rose again, experienced the afterlife and came back. So even if it isn't enough that He created this entire afterlife system, He experienced it.

    That's why I know it to be true, and with absolute and perfect proof.

    12

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well did Jesus ever say a person couldn't make it out of Hell by overcoming their issues while there?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's not a place to "overcome issues". That's earth. Hell is a place of punishment for not overcoming issues. Ballgame is over. Clock has run out. No time left.

    Heaven and Hell are the complete opposites of each other, with earth being the in-between place. Here is where we have plenty of time to decide our fate.

    If we are to say that hell is not permanent, then we must also allow the idea that heaven is not permanent. If we are to say that there are ways for us to get out of hell, we must also say that there ways for us to get out of heaven.

    The idea that people can get out of hell is very hopeful and sweet. The idea that people can get out of heaven is depressing and sour.

    Do you see the mirror reflections? The opposites? The cosmic order of this, Pisces?

    Jesus said that heaven and hell are permanent---the former being such good news, the latter being terribly dreadful.

    The time is *now*, Jessica. I don't understand the logic of giving somebody their years on earth to get it right and then...another time.

    We can call Jesus cruel for having such a place called hell --- but then we ignore the fact that He gave up His life to make sure we don't go there.

    C.S. Lewis once said (you need to read some C.S. Lewis) that sending people to Hell is God's final act of love. People who go to Hell are saying by how they live their life, "God, I don't anything to do with you!"

    Hell is God saying, "Very well. You can go to a place where I am not, now."

    12

    ReplyDelete
  6. "If we are to say that hell is not permanent, then we must also allow the idea that heaven is not permanent. If we are to say that there are ways for us to get out of hell, we must also say that there ways for us to get out of heaven."

    -I do believe that. I think Heaven is a temporary reward zone. It Can be a permanent place for those who reach that state, but for most people it winds up being a temporary stay. Then they comeback down to earth to Master Life. People have more say in what kind of life they come down to and what kind of life they will lead -usually wealthier and with a happier life.

    "We can call Jesus cruel for having such a place called hell" -Whoa. Peole don't go calling Jesus cruel. He didn't invent Hell, Hell is a part of the System and people condemn themselves to it. I accept Hell exists, but we have differing views on the structuring and permanency of that place.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice opinions, but I'm going to go ahead and takes Jesus' words above yours if you don't mind. He's been there, been back, created it all, knows how it works, and told us about it. =) Perhaps a day will come when you view Jesus' words as true authority too.

    12

    ReplyDelete