Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Focus

I lack prompts. My friend has jury duty and hath not bequeath prompteth unto me. There fore I'm going to look at some pamphlets he wrote on and make comments about his thoughts.

The first on is called ""Nothing But the Blood"...

In this post he was discussing the role of blood in Christianity. As noted in the Gospel of John, Jesus said that we must, "Eat of His flesh and drink of His blood" -on other words take the body of Christ into ourselves. Now in the pamphlet my friend focuses on the Passover of the Jews in Egypt -how they had to place the blood of a sacrificed lamb on the borders of their doors to avoid the plague that killed all first borns. He says regardless of whatever sin they had -past, present, and future- the only thing that saved them was the blood of the lamb. In this same sense, we are all saved by the sarifice Jesus made.

My friend notes, "I like to think it is my righteousness, working with God's power that saves me. I want to think that I have something important to do with my own fate. Yet I must humbly admit that the only thing bringing me to heaven is the blood of Jesus." -AT

He also quotes Ephesians 2:8-9, "For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, so that no one may boast".

This was interesting for me to read because i remember from John that people kept coming up to Jesus asking Him, "So what do we do to go to heaven and receive the Spirit?" And all He would tell them was to Believe in Him and do not sin. That's it. And I was confused because it seems like we have to do more, but it's an even playing field.

 It makes sense though when you take the quote from Ephesians into consideration. If some people put more works and effort into their faith then they might say they are more worthy of salvation than others. This would  then raise their Egos and lower the confidence and faith of others. Instead God doesn't pick and choose; He is on no one's side -He is the side. He's just waiting for people to join Him. He loves unconditionally and embraces everyone wherever they may be in their live as long as they revere Him as the One.

The Second pamphlet is titled, "Hard Work + Waiting =Absolute Success"

He basically states that you need to work hard, but also be patient. We as humans want instant gratification and we have to humble ourselves by realizing it is God who decides when we are ready to receive our rewards in life. For example, if a rich man wins the lottery but hasn't worked to appreciate his wealth and doesn't know how to spend it right because he is not fulfilled as a person, he will waste it on unworthy things. But if someone works hard and genuinely deserves his reward, God will give it to him and that person will multiply it and use it for the highest purpose possible to glorify God, not himself.

My friend says, it is not wrong o have fame or riches -but as people who are in humble service to our Lord we should put our worldly interests in a more divine frame of mind and use them for higher virtues. "As Christians, our idea of success in life should be anything having to do with bringing people closer to the Lord." -AT
And anything we do to try and speed up the process to bring about the reward quicker, will not end well because it will be without the guidance of God -Master of Time.

I have to say, my friend writes very well and makes good points. However, his writing seems clogged with words that don't bring their message to life. I would edit out some things and add some more feeling to it. It seems like great information, but too much information and no emotional connection make the paragraphs harder to recall because they don't have as strong of an impact.

Also, being an aries, he speaks mostly of duty - It is our duty as Christians to... Maybe it's just my Pisces nature, but it's too rigid for me to adhere to.  understand and respect duty, but Compassion and feelig will always compell me further than some telling me to do something. I am led by empathy, and do not have  duty to things I should do, but do them because it hurts my nature to go against what is right. It's like leading  horse by a rope that could just as easily follow without being told to. I don't need the rope. I don't need duty. I am bound by my Compassion to do what is right.

Also I don't like the phrase "We as Christians". This is why, even if I get baptised -which I intend to- and declare Jesus my savior -which I intend to -I will still Not call myself a Christian. I've seen to many works of God that lie outside of any one religion to define myself by just one. Buddhism has validity to it. I fear closing myself off by labeling myself in a category when God Himself transcends religion. He is always and will always Be. Regardless of what religion or religions I follow -I follow Him first. I have more duty as a Soul than I do as a Jew or a Christian or a Buddhist. My duty is to Truth and God and Compassion.

So my advice to my friend may seem partial, but i would recommend leaving the "We as Christians must..." out of it. Say "We as followers of God", then it's a lot more inclusive to people who maybe aren't Christian but end up reading his pamphlets anyway. They won't feel as closed off from the message and think it was only intended for a specific group of people he or she is not a part of.

7 comments:

  1. "I have to say, my friend writes very well and makes good points. However, his writing seems clogged with words that don't bring their message to life. I would edit out some things and add some more feeling to it. It seems like great information, but too much information and no emotional connection make the paragraphs harder to recall because they don't have as strong of an impact."

    --- you asking for another job, Improver? Be careful what you ask for...you might just get it. =D

    "I will still Not call myself a Christian."

    --- Even if the Bible gives the followers of Christ this name? Prove what the name really means...you can do it. Don't walk away from the name just people may have not lived up to it or abused it. Prove it. Re-define it. I would...fight for you to claim the name and truly define it, Jessica. It can be all of the things that you speak of.

    ""We as followers of God", then it's a lot more inclusive to people who maybe aren't Christian but end up reading his pamphlets anyway." --- ...but I'm not talking to the blurry concept of "followers of God"...I'm talking to people who call themselves by the name God gave them, Christian.

    It's not a bad word.


    12

    ReplyDelete
  2. God didn;t give people the name Christia -people did. Jesus never called His disciples or followers Christian -peple did to distinguish themselves and their religion from Jews, Muslims, and other religions.

    It is important to distinguish that you believe in Jesus. This I acknowledge. Calling yourself a Christian is a good way to indicate that belief and faith in Him. But for me, it is too regimented a concept now to be ofmuch use. I don't want people putting me in a box. I acknowledge Buddha. He did for Hinduism -which had that messed up Cast System- what Jesus did for Judaism. The path through Jesus is greater than Buddha's, but Buddha for me was a path to Chrisitanity, which I had felt isolated from.

    I stand by the concept that God is in nature and God transcends religion. Religion is a box people try to put Faith and God in. But God is in everything because He created everything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "God didn;t give people the name Christia -people did." --- you're wrong, sorry. The Bible is very clear that this is what followers of Christ are called. We'll get there.

    Admit it, you're reacting to the people who abused the name. We are called to truly show what the name means...not run away from it.

    Christian = follower of Christ. How is that bad?

    You don't want to be put in a box? Even if that box contains Christ?

    Eventually, you'll need to understand a concept ---- the Way to Christ is narrow, and few find it. Every other way is broad and lots of people are on it.

    You can't be everything, Jessica. If you stand for nothing, you will fall for everything.

    12

    ReplyDelete
  4. "You can't be everything, Jessica. If you stand for nothing, you will fall for everything."

    -You just sort of contradicted yourself there. You said I believed in too much and stoodfor too much, and yet if I stand for nothing I'll fall. Good thing I dodged that bullet...

    If your views are too narrow you run into issues. I have an Inclusive nature. Not Exclusive. You're trying to tell an ocan to funnel itself through one canal -only one passage way. But oceans seep int lakes and rivers and strems, and all of those flow back to the ocean as well.

    I'm just following Truth. I don't care who or from what philosophy or religion it comes by. I'm a net catching fish. If there's a dead fish I catch that lacks truth it falls through the net. But you're telling me to cast out fish I know to be true. I stand for the Truth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What I mean is, brat, if you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything. This is a very real danger with your nature/sign/gullibility.

    You know I'm right. =)

    We need to have a wide viewpoint but walk a narrow path. We need to be open to everything but only accept what is Truth.

    You have the ability to be exactly that, capable of relating to many different spirits, but teaching the right one.

    OR you can be one of those ladies who speaks nonsense, knows everything yet nothing at all.

    I aim to walk with the former lady on this mind-path we currently share.

    12

    ReplyDelete
  6. It occurs to me as we travel down this path, that You have an issue here as well. It's called Over-skepticism. I've never met anybody who had it like you, but the fact is my friend Katie was the first truly Spiritual person I met who inspired me to consider being a Chrisitan. She didn't tell me i had to be one, i felt like being one because I admored her and her spiritual purity. But she was Spiritual and Religious as an aries. You tend to be too judgemental -far more than she was. She was balanced. You have tendencie of over-skepticism. Just like you will teach me to temper my spirituality with fact and research -I will temper your beliefs with more spiritual concepts and a more open nature.

    ReplyDelete
  7. To be honest, I've already adopted you as my Improver in my life. I've already accepted your role and that it is no mistake --- that God meant for me to meet you.

    So, I give you my views in their sharpest form, because I know that you will blunt them and round them off. Please don't read too much into them --- I normally don't talk to people as I talk to you because they can't handle it. But you can --- you are taking lots of my fire and dousing it to levels which are probably more humane and appropriate for realistic use.

    ...but no, don't think I'm this direct and sharp with everyone.

    It's the same reason why you run things by my skepticism to see if you are being realistic. I run things by your openness because I seek to be moderated.

    I only trust you with this job because you have an innocence and purity which I know would not mess up my views --- an innocence and purity which I will always defend.

    That being said, I think my skepticism is healthy. Google the expression "Question Everything" and see how many very intelligent people believe in this.

    I link my skepticism directly with research, Jessica. I can see if I was just some fat dude sitting on his porch complaining about the world, and never doing a thing about it. Whatever I disagree with, I research and figure out why. Both arguments. And then I come to a conclusion.

    You don't do that --- you tend to buy the first story that strikes your heart and makes you feel good (or bad).

    As far as me being "judgemental"...nothing wrong with if that judgement is based on truth. It is PRE-judgment that is the realm of bigotry, or UNEDUCATED judgement that is the realm of offenders. All of what I speak about, I've studied on both sides.

    Jesus says, "make a righteous judgement".

    12

    ReplyDelete