Friday, November 25, 2011

The Gospel of John 6:35-71

6:35 Jesus said to them, "I am the bread of life; he who comes to Me will not hunger, and he who believes in Me will never thirst.
36 "But I said to you that you have seen Me, and yet do not believe.
37 "All the Father gives Me will come to Me, and the one who comes to Me I will certainly not cast out.
38 "For I have come down from heaven, not to do My own will, but the will of Him who sent Me.
39 "This is the will of Him who sent Me, that of all that He has given Me I lose nothing, but raise it up on the last day.
40 "For this is the will of My Father, that everyone who beholds the Son and believes in Him will have eternal life, and I Myself will raise him up on the last day."
41 Therefore the Jews were grumbling about Him, because He said, "I am the bread that came down out of heaven."  
42 They were saying, "Is not this Jesus, the son of Joseph, whose father and mother we know? How does He now say, 'I have come down from heaven'?"
43 Jesus answered and said to them, "Do not grumble among yourselves.
44 "No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up on the last day.
45 "It is written in the prophets, 'AND THEY SHALL ALL BE TAUGHT OF GOD'. Everyone who has heard and learned from the Father, comes to Me.
46 "Not that anyone has seen the Father, except the One who is from God; He has seen the Father.
47 "Truly, truly, I say to you, he who believes has eternal life.
48 "I am the bread of life.
49 "Your fathers ate the manna in the wilderness, and they died.
50 "This is the bread that comes down out of heaven, so that one may eat of it and not die.
51 "I am the living bread that came down out of heaven; if anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever; and the bread also which I will give for the life of the world is My flesh."
52 Then the Jews began to argue with one another, saying, "How can this man give us His flesh to eat?"
53 So Jesus said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, you have no life in yourselves.
54 "He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day.
55 "For My flesh is true food, and My blood is true drink.
56 "He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood abides in Me, and I in him.
57 "As the living Father sent Me, and I live because of the Father, so he who eats Me, he also will live because of Me.
58 "This is the bread which came down out of heaven; not as the fathers ate and died; he who eats this bread will live forever."
59 These things He said in the synagogue as He taught in Capernaum.
60 Therefore many of His disciples, when they heard this said, "This is a difficult statement; who can listen to it?"
61 But Jesus conscious that His disciples grumbled at this, said to them, "Does this cause you to stumble?
62 "What then if you see the Son of Man ascending to where He was before?
63 "It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing; the words that I have spoken to you are spirit and are life.
64 "But there are some of you who do not believe." For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were who did not believe, and who it was who would betray Him.
65 And He was saying, "For this reason I have said to you, that no one can come to Me unless it has been granted him from the Father.
66 As a result of this many of His disciples withdrew and were not walking with Him anymore.
67 So Jesus said to the twelve, "You do not want to go away also, do you?"
68 Simon Peter answered Him, "Lord, to whom shall we go? You have words of eternal life.
69 "We have believed and have come to know that You are the Holy One of God."
70 Jesus answered them, "Did I Myself not choose you, the twelve, and yet one of you is a devil?"
71 Now He meant Judas the son of Simon Iscariot, for he, one of the twelve, was going to betray Him.
-John 6:35-71

Jesus ran into two problems with His speech at Capernaum. Firstly He said He had descended from heaven and was the Son of God, but everyone around town recognized him as the son of Joseph and Mary -so they didn't believe Him. The second issue He ran into was people taking His words literally instead of figuratively. They thought He was being literal about them needing to eat His flesh and drink His blood to live forever. It didn't go over well.

And when the Disciples discussed this issue among themselves Jesus clarified to them that He was talking of the Spirit and that He already knew they wouldn't stick around and support Him because they didn't know the Father. And He told them this. And then they left (John 6:66).

Then Jesus turned to His 12 disciples and was proud that the men He chose to follow Him were still beside Him.

You know it's interesting when you read this chapter and then think of Vampires. Vampires don't necessarily eat the flesh, but they say, "Drink my blood and live forever." Maybe this shows the evil in taking Jesus' word about drinking blood literally. Especially if it is a normal human saying that his or her blood can make people live forever. Or even if it is a "vampire" making the claim, the fact that it is not Jesus saying it is being blasphemous to make that claim. And it is ironic that fictional vampires have the power to make somone live forever -but only on Earth by drinking the blood of humans. They are doomed to live forever on earth and Never see heaven.

5 comments:

  1. "Or even if it is a "vampire" making the claim, the fact that it is not Jesus saying it is being blasphemous to make that claim" --- interesting. You seem to understand blasphemy, but not "sacred". Jokes about what is sacred = "blasphemy" too, you know.

    12

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vampires are fictional. just like jokes about Christianity or any other religion because they take a known concept and make it sarcastic or twisted in some way. No one taks vampires seriously anymore than someone would a unicorn -neither exists in reality. No one is suppose to take religious jokes that are not intended to be offensive seriously -because they are not based in the reality of a religion, but a twisting or satire of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not talking about vampires. (although the origin and purpose of vampires is directly rooted in demonism/satanism) I'm talking about your use of the word "blasphemy".

    I'm pretty amazed that you are avoiding the concept of "sacred". However, since you seem to respect what "blasphemy" is, let's go a bit deeper.

    According to the dictionary, blasphemy is:

    "impious utterance or action concerning God or sacred things".

    Oh. Well lookee here. We find the word "sacred" once again.

    But let's look at what "impious" means:

    1. lacking "reverance"
    ---I think that we can agree that a joke about something sacred is = to no revering it.

    2. "disrespectful"
    ---I'm pretty sure we can also agree that certain jokes, let's say our favorite viking cartoon, were not out show respect to any concept.

    So, in your mind, if something is blasphemous, it is BAD.

    But if something is blasphemous but is meant to make someone laugh, it's GOOD?

    Hmmm? o.O

    12

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's another way of putting it, my internal alarm goes off and I get offended when certain things are mocked or insulted. That being said, someone's views on what the afterlife may be like or what their opinion of a religion is is not something "sacred" to me, because I'm open-minded enough to understand people have different views when it comes to religion/afterlife/sacred things. If I sense something is sacred to someone and that thing is being joked about, although I may get the joke and find it amusing, I'm not going to tell it to the person who finds it offense. There are people, for example, who are offended if you insult certain movies -jokes run the risk of offending people who take them seriously.

    Blasphemy in the way I was using it was in terms of what others who follow Christianity would find disrespectful to that religion -a.k.a. vampires. I don't find Vampires to be blasphemous personally. If I did I wouldn't watch Interview with a Vampire or Twilight. I would be offended by those movies and call them blasphemous like many Christians do.

    I was speaking in the context of Chrisitanity. Ourside of that religion I have no issues with vapires, werewolves, unicorns... whatever. But if I know someone who is Jewish and has a prblem eating anything pig related, then yah I'll probably avoid telling them a joke about bacon. I know avoiding bacon is a sacred custom to them and not something to be messed with.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have...zero idea of what you're trying to say. Bluntly said, you were amused at what is defined clearly as blasphemy. I can't break it down any further for you, nor can I force understanding in your brain if you don't want to receive it. If that's fine with you (somehow), alright, just as long as I don't know about it.

    Stay classy!!!

    12

    ReplyDelete