Thursday, November 17, 2011

Prop H8

How many times does California have to embarrass itself? We are wasting time and energy supporting negativity. Let Gays Marry.

If Congress and groups of people trying to pass measures through it spent as much time worrying about Starving Children as they do gay rights, no one would be going hungry.

I'm still learning the ways the Bible, but based on what I've heard and read -I have seen No logical reason why Homosexuality is immoral.

I can logically understand why the Bible says people shouldbe advised against premarital relations.

I can logically understand why the Bible isn't thrilled about the concept of Divorce.

I can logically argue why the Bible claims certain acts to be "immoral" or "sins".

If the Bible did not exist, I could still Rationally explain everything it claims to be immoral -Except Homosexuality.

I have my own theories why certain phrases are in there. I honestly believe people are misinterpreting the words in the Bible when it comes to what they deem to be references to "homosexuality". Hang on, let me consult Wikipedia on some things just to get my facts strait.

Thank you Wikipedia for telling me where in the Bible to look.

Genesis
19:1 "Now the two Angels came to Sodom in the evening as Lot was sitting in the gate of Sodom. When Lot saw them, he rose to meet them and bored down with his face to the ground. 

2 And he said, "Now behold, my lords, please turn aside into your servant's house, an spend the night, and wash your feet; then you may rise early and go on your way." They said however, "No, but we shall spend the night in the square".  

3 Yet he urged them strongly, so they turned aside to him and entered his house; and he prepared a feast for them, and baked unleavened bread, and they ate.

4 Before they lay down, the men of the city, the men of Sodom, surrounded the house, both young and old, all the people from every quarter;

5 and they called to Lot and said to him, "Where are the men who came to you tonight? Bring them out to us that we may have relations with them". 

6 But Lot went out to them at the doorway, and shut the door behind him,

7 and said, "Please, my brothers, do not act wickedly". 

8 "Now behold, I have two daughters who have not had relations with man; please let me bring them out to you, and do to them whatever you like; only do nothing to these men, inasmuch as they have come under the shelter of my roof."

9 But they said, "Stand aside." Furthermore, they said, "This one came in as an alien, and already he is acting lie a judge; now we will treat you worse than them." So they pressed hard against Lot and came near to break the door.

10 But the men reached out their hands and brought Lot into the house with them, and shut the door. 

11 They struck the men who were at the doorway of the house with blindness, both small and great, so that they wearied themselves trying to find the doorway."

Then the two men revealed to Lot that they were Angels there to destroy the land of Sodom because it was a messed up place and he and his family should leave and get out before they went to town on the town.

First off, what the Hell? Just when you think Oakland and Palo Alto sound like sketchy places to be...

I think Lot was sort of the filter for innocent people who came into the area not knowing what it was like there. Like most society's, the members of Sodom clearly looked after, or at least spared their own from their cruelty. Native Americans did this too actually. "If you're in our tribe, we won't hurt you. If you are from another tribe... yah you're getting scalped."

Lot was a newbie to the area, but he was still considered part of the tribe. So Lot, being a good man, looked out for foreigners who didn't know well enough to avoid the area. Lot was "insistently insistent" on the men staying at his place. He was purposely trying to protect them. I think the reason he made a feast was also to ensure they would stay with him.

Then the guys in the town found out. Let me explain the culture of this city called Sodom. It's a backwards town like the one from Texas Chainsaw Massacre where everybody is in on the crimes that go down and unless you want something bad to happen to you as you live in this area, you keep your mouth shut. So you're either a participant of the crime, or you're turning a blind eye. And this is how crime has continued to thrive throughout the history of mankind.

So the criminals of the town find out and specifically wanted to hurt these foreigners because they know they can. I don't think it's about the type of cruelty they submit people to -Rape for Sexual Enjoyment. I think for them it's about the fact that they can get away with it. They enjoy that Abuse of Power.

So Lot comes to the door and sees the gang of men, and already knows what they want -because that's the kind of town he's living in. This is obviously not the first time this has happened. So Lot tries to protect the men. 

He actually offers them his two virgin daughters -which I think is f*cked up. My dad would Never do that to my sister and I. And the way he says it to, "do to them whatever you like". Not just Rape, but whatever other abuses you may feel like committing. That's f*cked up.The ONLY reason I can think of for Lot doing this is KNOWING 100% that his daughters will be looked after by God during AND after any harm that might come to them.

But as I said, these men were not interested in hurting members of their own tribe -they wanted the foreigners. So they also threatened to hurt Lot, thinking this would motivate him to let them attack the foreigners. Then the Angels blinded the bad guys -which was awesome.

So in terms of this pertaining to Homosexuality -it doesn't. You can't tell me that ALL of the men in that city were gay. Nope. Even in San Francisco, there are not that many gays. And the fact is their sexual orientation isn't the issue here. They intended to hurt these foreigners. If sex didn't exist -if they were physically incapable of raping anyone, they would have beaten and stabbed them instead. They had intent to harm. For some reason they liked to Sodomize their victims -maybe because it added humiliation to the abuse. Getting punched in the face isn't as personal, demoralizing, intimate, and degrading as rape.

This has nothing to do with being gay and everything to being violent and hateful towards others in a group or culture.

It is an insult to say this crime had anything to do with homosexuality. You might as well say Men who molest little Girls are representative of Heterosexual nature and being straight is therefore a crime. Men can rape women just as easily as this group in Sodom could have raped those two men. In fact, had those two men been women -who's to say the gang wouldn't have raped them just the same.

The crime of Sodom was that of Rape. And not just rape, but violent attacks on people done by a group of individuals repeatedly out of habit in a town that was corrupted to its Founding and Tainted by this activity.

If people read what happened in Sodom and say that it was God's way of saying "being gay is wrong" those people don't know how to read.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eeek.

    I wouldn't be so quick to accuse people of not knowing how to read when you yourself have not read the entire story of Sodom and Gammorah. You are falling for the typical trap of not reading a story in the right context or completeness before judging.

    This is called pre-judging.

    If you read a few chapters before this story, you would know that God called Sodom and Gammorah evil BEFORE this story took place. So it was evil before any idea of rape came along. Why were these places called evil before we hear of the rape-attempt story? Well, the only clue we have is because it was full of homosexuals.

    To show you how messed up homosexuality was viewed by Lot, he even offered up his daughters so that they would do a "lesser" sin. (Lesser in terms of cultural consequence). Even the idea of giving up his daughters for rape was preferable (in his mind) than giving up the men for homosexual acts.

    These men didn't want women, they wanted MEN who probably looked like supermodels as they were angels.

    Lot was an idiot. I'm not defending Lot. If you read more of the Bible, you'd know that Lot was a very, very, immature and immoral man in many cases. So I'm not defending his choice to give up his daughters, I'm just saying that in his mind, this was preferable to homosexuality on his guests.

    Then, if you keep reading, God blows up the entire city. Which he had promised to do BEFORE the rape attempt (if you read more of the full story).

    Jessica, the Bible is very, very, very, very clear on homosexuality. Please do not go to the Bible to prove it wrong...it won't work. Honestly, your only defense in this debate is to say that perhaps the Bible was speaking from an old cultural stance that doesn't apply today. There are tons of verses that make the Bible's stance on the subject clear.

    It doesn't have to make sense to you --- but eventually you need to understand that God is wiser than you and there will be things He says to do that you will not understand.


    12

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wel then why don;t you give Biblical quotes or Genesis #s so I can look up the pretext you were speaking about. Dang it Alex. I'm open to learing, but I want to read the text myself.

    Jeez...

    "So it was evil before any idea of rape came along. Why were these places called evil before we hear of the rape-attempt story? Well, the only clue we have is because it was full of homosexuals."

    Yah the definition of homosxual needs to be defined because -just based on what I read- they seemed like Rapists first and foremost and most people are smart enough to know that gays in our culture are not rapists. Maybe back then rape was done by homosexuals, but that doesn't make homosexuality itself wrong -again it's Rape that's the issue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't dang or jeez me.

    You know, I was thinking of throwing a bunch of verses at you showing what I'm talking about --- but then I'd be guilty of the same thing I accuse you of: reading verses out of context.

    I promised to teach you the Bible, and so you'll have to show patience and wait until we get to the subject of homosexuality in the Bible.

    For future purposes, it is unwise to quote a book, any book, in order to make a point if you have not read that book in its entirety. Please give the Bible, the most popular book of all time by far, at least that much respect.

    I love the Bible so much that when I see it taken out of context like this (and re-posted on Facebook! Sigh...) it bothers me...like if I misrepresented your favorite t.v. show or book or person. So I'm not forcing you to do so, nor do I believe that I could force you to do anything, but I ask that you comment on parts of the Bible that you know and have studied in context.

    Outside of that, I agree that gays should be allowed to marry if that's what the majority says. The political reasoning for homosexuality is a different argument than the spiritual one, and should be kept separate.

    12

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to understand the context to give the greatest line of reasoning and rationality to a Current topic of interest, but I can't if the facts are pending.

    I'll wait. I will consider the topic of hmosexuality Voided until I am up to speed on Biblical references. Neither of us is right or wrong. You can say you are right just as much as I can, but neither of us will know what is right until we are both on the same page.

    ReplyDelete