Friday, August 5, 2011

Time to Rant

What the heck is wrong with doctor's these days? I know you see a bajillion patients each day, but patients are people first. They glance at you ask, "How are you feeling?" They diagnose you issue, give you your medicine, and then out the door you go. I know if they developed personal relationships with all their clients it would be harder for them to see people sick or unwell on a regular basis. But still, there should be some acknowledgement that you are currently in the room with another living, breathing individual human being.

I take a daily dose of 100 mg of Sertraline, which I guess is  generic form of Zoloft. It makes me calmer, more at ease, less awkward feeling, more aware of my surroundings, and gives me a greater sense of place in my environment. However, my doctor has issues ensuring my medication gets refilled when it needs to. This past week the pharmacy had to lown me 3 pills because my doctor wouldn't approve more unless I scheduled an appointment to check in with him. He never called me to say, "Hey we should schedule an appointment to check in." It was only until I needed the medication that I was told that's what was going on. The soonest appointment I could get was a week later. I've been without my medication now for 6 days. Let me describe for you what happens when you go cold turkey off of Sertraline -which is something my doctor himself told me never to do.

Day 1, your still fine.
Day 2, the nausea and slight disorientation starts to kick in.
Day 3, more disorientation and greater unease in social situations.
Day 4, you want to kill your doctor for not approving you for more of your medication. More disorientation, depression sets in, greater irritability, a greater sense of being uncomfortable around people.
Day 5, the end of the day is always worse than the beginning. Disorientation throughout the day- at this point it is elevated to what I call the "shutter effect" where your mind gets jarred frequently. At the end of the day you feel deeply depressed to the point of crying. There is a greater desire to become isolated and alone.
Day 6, Shutter effect is in full swing, though you've gotten use to it now and it doesn't bug you as much, though it still makes wandering around more uncomfortable and uneasy. Mood is mopey in general. You want to wap your doctor upside the head, but when you're in the room with him you remember he didn't do this on purpose and you shouldn't beat people down for actions you know were mistakes they didn't intend to make.

No comments:

Post a Comment