Sunday, August 28, 2011

Archiveological Dig 1

So I went looking back through my old posts on Facebook -I did the same with my old blogspot a while ago as well- and came across this post. Here's the first blog post I wrote acknowledging the shift in change that had occurred within me at that time and the reasons why. Call it a written acknowledgement of a turning point in my life:

Religion, the World, and Miss America

by Jessica Power on Saturday, January 17, 2009 at 12:22pm
 
I feel like writing a blog. I've been meaning to for a while now, but I am a lazy individual who would prefer looking up random things on wikipedia than writing anything that could possibly expend energy. Anyways, . . . now I'm here. I'm ready to write my blog. I have sooo much to talk about. A lot of great and significant thoughts have ocured to me lately, but I don't know which one to discuss. I think I'll just write about the reasons why my brain has been thinking outside the rubik's cube as of late.

I think it all started Fall of last year when I took my Religious History of America class and my Biology : Study of Endagnered Ecosystems class. My religious class opened m eyes to the way religion has evolved and changed oer the years and the way it can be used and manipulated by people to service their on selfish needs. It seems like whenever someone would come up with a new way o interpreting the Bible they used it to emphasize their own choice in lifestlye, as an excuse to gain power, or as a way to put down others, Seldom was it ever used to find a new way to God, which is suppose to be its primary function. I had also learned of Islam and Judaism briefly in another class and I often compare and contrast them.

This quarter I'm taking a class that discusses how various religions view animals and the environment. I just learned the basic principles of Hinduism. Why don't more people embrace this religion? It's not even a religion really, more a way of thinking and embracing different parts of life while also facing the concept of death with dignity and integrity. Sure it raises some controversial concepts like the belief in multiple gods, reincarnation, and caste; but as with any religion you take what you blieve is right and should be upheld and make it part of your own personal belief system. Hinduism doesn't force people to believe in things, it says if you want to believe in this you can but in the end it is your decision. No like Christianity where the views are pressed more forcedly and you feel more pressured to state your beliefs to see what denomination you fit into. That's probably why so many people these days are "spiritual" rather than religious. They don't want there beliefs to be pegged to the ground and shoved in a box. They would rather keep an open mind about things and develop their own theories. It's not like any one person can say they know everything about God, life and death. They're just thoughts and principles people can speculate on and that's what makes religion so great.

One of the reasons Hinduism embraces other religions is because it sees them as away and guide for people to find their own path to God. Through scriptures and practices people can discover what ways they can connect to God or whatevr force they might believe is out there. I think there's truth and wisdom to be found in all religions and I think it's important to explore them and find what ideals and beliefs suite you.

Wow that was long. This is a sample of the thoughts I've been having lately. I can't stop. It's like my eyes have been opened to another world and all the old things I thought mattered mean nothing. I no longer dream of owning a mansion and a million dollars. I want to have a simple life and give what I can to those who need it more. It seems like everyone views the world and everything in it as something that can be a service to them. The mentality is "the world is one endless resource and I'll just take what I want from it". They see people and things as a means to an end. Just something to provide a service. The waitress from the cafe isn't a person she's a being that will take my order and bring my food. We take so many things for granted like food, housing, objects we don't need, and most tragicly people.


O.K. I'm gonna stop writing now. It's making me depressed. It's like, once you've seen the problems the world is facing you can't ignore it. You carry it with you and suddenly you realize the worlds problems are your problems. We are all connected whether we like it or not. One person's actions, even the simplest ones, can effect everyone. I just hope one day I can contribute more, because I realize now that's what I really want in life. To make life better, not just for me but for everyone.

Dang, I really sound like a Miss United States pageant contestant. And World Peace! I saw commercials for the Miss U.S. show the other day. Wow. After all these years the contestants still look the same. Tall, thin, tan, shiny haired, and smiling out their faces. I want to b a Miss U.S. pageant contestant just to add some variety to that stupid thing. Like when all those girls walk out in their two peice bathing suites and high heals I'll come out with an innertube around my waste, sunglasses over my eyes, and flip-flops on my feet. Who swims wearing high heals? And when they ask me those stupid questions I'll know exactly wat to say.


Question 167: "Jessica as Miss America what kinds of things would you do take make the world a better place?" Answer 167: "Well, ummm, what did the last Miss America do with her 'power'? Last I heard she went clubbing and partying which got her into trouble. It's not like the tiara gives you any special authority. You're still in the same place you were before. Only now more people know you. I guess I'd live my life the same if I was Miss America, only whenever I was interviewed I'd discuss things other than myself that might help to raise peoples' awareness of the problems the world is facing like deforestation and the 'harvesting' of the oceans."

I haven't heard of any of the Miss U.S. winners causing any real change for the better. And in the end it's really only a "scholarship program". I'm glad I didn't have to put on a bikini to get a scholarship. Good grades and a reasonable amount of intelligence seemed to work just fine. I think it's just sad we have shows that pretend to judge people on the basis of their personality and good will towards others but really just focuses on their chest, hair, and shiny teeth.

3 comments:

  1. More people don't embrace Hinduism because it's not logical to take every religion and say "we worship them all", especially when certain religions say "we are the only religion".

    How about one of my patented analogies?

    That's like taking every element on the element chart and treating them all the same, or expecting them to act the same way, or tasting every one of them and expecting the same results...just because they are all called "elements".

    But no need to debate against Jessica2009. I think Jessica2011 is wiser.

    12

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's about being open-minded to other religions and finding those that have truth -acknowledging it -and adding the truth to your own belief system.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with that.

    I think *respect* is the key.

    There are plenty of lifestyles that I don't agree with, but I still respect the individuals who are a part of it. Friends with them, even.

    That's also how I treat other religions.

    12

    ReplyDelete