Saturday, August 13, 2011

Definition of a Person

I make art, but I am not an artist. I carry art within me and and it's an aspect of who I am, but not who I am entirely. My art does not define me.

I am not a receptionist. I may answer phones while filling that position from time to time, but I am not my job.

I am a Pisces. I can't change my birth date. But at any point I can choose to change who I am and wash away any trace of Pisces that may be associated with me.

I am a girl. But some would see my gender as a defining quality, either good or bad, and since I choose to see everything in this life as a gift -including struggles and challenges- this concept does not apply to me and being female is therefore irrelevant.

I am 23 years old. 5 years ago I was 18. 7 years from now I'll be 30. But these are just numbers. Numbers don't define a person's age or wisdom -experiences do.

I am not rich. But I am wealthy. I have great amounts of support from friends and family. I have a vast knowledge of Truth. I value my life highly. I have an abundance of passion for the things I love. I am wealthy.

There are people who let themselves become defined by their education, their job, their money, their actions, other people, or themselves.

I've heard of men commitig suicide after they were fired from a job they worked at for at least 10 years. Suicide. They took their own life because they decided they had nothing left to live for. It's like wen they were fired a part of them was shot dead and they din't think they could carry on without it. There are people who do the same after they've lost money. There are those who do the same when people around them underestimate their worth and tell them they have none. People do the same when thy tell themselves the same.

Why are we so cruel to ourselves and others? Humans shouldn't be defined because we transcend ourselves. We are limitless and boundless. To put oursleves in a box and confine ourselves to a definition is to be ignorant of our true nature.

2 comments:

  1. How the...how in the world...did this come to your mind? Wait --- wait---don't answer that until Wednesday. ----12

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just got tired of people asking me what I do as if saying "I'm a part-time receptionist" or that "I like to draw" will assist them in finding out more about who I am as a person.

    ReplyDelete