"A good name is more to be desired than great wealth, and to be respected is better than silver and gold." -Proverbs 22:1
A guy from Toastmasters gave a speech last Wednesday on what it means to really leave a legacy that matters. When you die your wealth gets dissolved and divided up -your True legacy is your reputation and the way you've affected people along the way.
He argued that since 2/3rds of our lives are spent working -either at a job or other form of service -the way we conduct ourselves at work is one of the highest ways we define who we are to others. In order to create a great reputation and rapport with people you should always aspire to embody these ideal qualities:
1. Be Responsive: Always get back to people with the actions you plan to take
2. Be Dependable and Reliable: Always follow through on your word
3. Be Honest: Never put your Pride or Ego before your Integrity
4. Over Deliver: Give what's expected and then ADD your own Unique Attributes into something Extra
5. Empower Others: Lead by Uniting people and Building them up to be greater
6. Be Adroit with your Talent: Let people see and know that you are an Expert at what you do
Everyone works. We should aspire to work, not just in our day-to-day lives to achieve whatever tasks are in front of us, but towards greater goals by embodying the ideals we want to inspire others to uphold.