Friday, January 13, 2012

Mind Wandering on Friday the 13th

"Wanna find your soul-mate? Look in the mirror and find it inside".

This was a random tweeted quote I read. My initial thought was: "That makes no sense. Your soul-mate is the mate to your soul -a match to it. If you look inside yourself you won't find your souls mate, you will find your soul itself -something too few people do these days".

Then I went to read somebody's blog, clicked on the link to it, and looked at their newly posted blog title. "It's Soul'ly up to You".

Seems fated.

These days the world as always frustrates me. There are bills to pay. There's rent to pay. Today I found out that if you don't produce business in WFG in 6 months they can fire you. I found out more about Annuities last night at their BPM. My Uncle Brad, who has never really emailed me frequently before (except for Xmas cards), has been talking to me frequently about WFG and how he think it's weird I joined the business since I'm not really a "sales person".

The whole world seems to be babbling on and on about money, and I just keep tuning it out of my life the way I always have because it honestly doesn't interest me that much.

I had a recent reflection though. I thought, Juan is amusing because he wants to become more spiritual. He keeps talking about going to church and blah blah blah because other more successful int he business say they put God first in their lives. How true that is can be debatable. But now Juan, Executive Marketing Director, who makes tons more money than me wants to be more "spiritual".

So I imagined having a conversation with him. Not an actual, real one -but as usual when I want to understand a person more deeply I imagine myself talking to them in person.

Juan kept asking me about spiritual stuff because I am more spiritual. He also kind of thought I was weird/ unusual for being more spiritually focused than business-oriented. He said, "How can you be successful in the business if you're so focused on Spirituality?" And I said, "Because when I think about WFG I don't think about Money. I think about building a team. I think about leading people, of improving the industry, of supporting and uplifting people. I see potential in people and I want to strive to see that potential realized. This business was never about building a business. It is always about building people."

Then Juan kept asking me about religion, Christianity specifically, and how the afterlife works. I honestly didn't feel like explaining any of it to him. I said it would be like explaining Geometry to a 12 year old. Even if the 12 year old could grasp the concepts, they would never use them. I told Juan he was young and interested only in business. The only reason he wanted to learn spirituality was to improve his business. That's a misuse of religion. It's not meant to be a way for you to loo good in front of colleagues or "get in good" with God. That's why it would be lost on him and a waste of time to explain.

But then I figured, maybe if I go over the Bible with him, he will understand. Those words have a way of reaching people and transforming them as a person without them even realizing it. I thought it might be a way to teach him what I'm saying. But his mind would always be preoccupied and more concerned with other things. He speaks too quickly and acts too quickly to take the time to reflect on life or its lessons.

A lot of people have been having birthdays lately. I have a lot of Capricorn friends. I'm amused and appreciative of the Zodiac for helping me see who my friends really are and being able to understand them more on a deeper level.

I want to give my "Communing with the Universe" (or whatever that book is titled) to my Aunt Carol for her birthday. She's the only relative I know who's spiritual -specifically in a Christian way. She's also a lesbian, so some would refuse to believe her as a Christian, but whatever. She would appreciate the way it shows various religions and beliefs relating to nature. I think she's a Cancer but I can't remember.

I also want to lend Robbinson Jeffer's poems and "Appointment with Destiny" modern Buddhist book to my friend Nancy. She's a Pisces, and one of the few I know who talks very openly about her beliefs to me. She is in a dark place. I see it. I want to raise her up and make her more fulfilled in life. I don't know which is harder: being a person who can do anything but doesn't know their purpose, or being a person who knows exactly what their purpose is but lacks the confidence to achieve it.

I also don't which is better: Telling people point blank they cannot do something "sinful" or allowing people to do whatever they want knowing that by experiencing the ramifications of their mistakes they will eventually turn away from sin. I'm not the kind of person who needed to be told what not to do. I already knew. But I know other people who would be lost without other people telling them they should not do things that will clearly lead them down a wrong path. I turn away from people who tell me what to do authoritatively. I think that's because my mom ruled like a monarch, but acted like a village idiot with her actions. Therefore authority doesn't always know what it's doing. I always knew better on my own. But when people speak to me and share their life lessons, I listen completely as if they were whispering secrets that culd reveal the universe in every word.

So instead of telling people: Don't do this or don't do that... it's best to show them by example, explain -Always explain- why something is a poor choice of action, and trust that in the end they will find their way as they are meant to.

3 comments:

  1. "The only reason he wanted to learn spirituality was to improve his business. That's a misuse of religion."

    --- I applaud your growing ability to see through bullshit.

    *pats self on the back for being a good teacher*

    "maybe if I go over the Bible with him, he will understand."

    --- Before you let this thought germinate more in your mind, you'd need to know the Bible yourself. If you're serious about studying with him, tag me along. Please. Literally very dangerous to teach the Bible and not know it yourself. *eek*

    "So instead of telling people: Don't do this or don't do that... it's best to show them by example, explain -Always explain- why something is a poor choice of action, and trust that in the end they will find their way as they are meant to."

    --- Do both, depending on the person. And grow in wisdom to know when to do one or the other. Some people like and want to be told what to do. Some don't.

    12

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude, there's no way I am actually going over the Bible with Juan. He would never liten to me. And I wouldn't have the patience for his level of impatience. It was hypothetical in my imaginary scenario. Nunca. Nunca. Nunca.

    The only person I would show the Bible to is my frend Nancy who is a Pisces who has read the Bible before in the past. She doesn't seem to remember it very well and she is hesitant about reading it because of all the misuse people justify by it. I gave her a Bible and told her to read The Gospel of John as I had. I told her to read it slowly, and that it was better to find someone to walk her through it so that historical context could be further explained and spiritual understanding culd be discussed thoroughly and pondered on. I also gave her my book on modern Buddhism, which she seemed more excited to read. I would go over the parts of John I have read and do understand, but not any other parts I haven't myself been walked through yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not even comfortable with you "teaching" Nancy the Bible unless it is a "look what I learned" situation. That sounds like what you're talking about anyway.

    12

    ReplyDelete