Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Developing Disorders

I was thinking about it today, maybe because I'm having issues with mine, but disorders don't come about by accident.

I went 3 days without my Zoloft. Been trying to stretch it out so I don't take as much and it therefore lasts longer. Also I'm lazy and don't feel like running o the pharmacy once a month to refill. Anyways, the effects of going without were starting to get to me -namely the depression and the unease in social situations. I felt awkward and out of place this morning at ToastMasters, even though I did win Best Evaluator. I barely noticed. I wasn't feeling quite like myself, and I kind of just wanted to avoid people.

But I was thinking about it, and after watching Zeitgeist all those months ago, I remember that they said that disorders don't work the way people think they do. Disorders are developed in people, they don't just come about randomly. For instance, Karen Carpenter developed Anorexia after she read a bunch of magazines criticizing her appearance. The guy from the show "Dirty Jobs" developed OCD due to all the germs and unsanitary conditions he would constantly be exposed to. A lot of people develop Hoarding disorders after a relative dies and they are unable to cope with the loss.

So when I think back, I wonder why I developed Social Anxiety Disorder and why my sister developed Attention Deficit Disorder. Mine's actually pretty easy to understand - I was a shy kid with an overbearing parent who was controlling and overprotective. Not a good combo. And my sister could have developed her ADHD from watching tv at a young age or not being able to focus her attention well enough. Not sure.

Anyway, it's interesting to look into the types of disorders and problems people can get due to behavioral issues and negative experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment