Sunday, January 22, 2012

Lessons from SkyRim

Ironically it has been a very good-to-know sort of an experience playing Skyrim.

The first thing I learned and would like to apply to life is what happens when you are lazer-focused on a task or goal. I don't know if I've written about this or not already, but when I'm on my horse charging for the designated arrow on my screen I just keep moving forward. A saber cat chased after me and knowing I would have to confront it and it would slow me down, I veered over to a giant and had him kill it, then rode on and didn't look back. I was heading to a cave and a dragon was after me. I led it to an enemy camp and let them kill it for me. I just ride on and don't look back. I ignore every obstacle in my path and don't stop until I've reached my destination.

The next thing I learned is perseverance. you have to stock up on health potions and not hesitate to use them when needed. A lot of times I'll ignore my health bar and die mid-battle. It's annoying and hard for me to admit that I need to pause and take two seconds to drink the potion to heal. The more battles I go through the more I realize you cannot win them without the aid of potions. Strategy is also a big helper. It's good to know when you need help, but more important to actually take it when needed.

I also learned to let go of my faithful dog Meeko and loyal follower Craig-Jumper. They both died and it was annoying because I had to keep reloading to try and save them. I ended up wasting time and effort to save people who were suppose to be there to help me. I was afraid of going it alone without them and they then held me back. So I had to let them go and walk away, knowing that somewhere down the line I would find someone knew to help me through battles. My efforts to save them were defeating the purpose of having them around and I had to honest with the myself in the situation and know I was better off without at that point.

The next lessons I learned was not to take on more than one task at a time. Mid-task you will often be given knew tasks from others outside of your current mission. Save those tasks for later. Complete one task at a time or else you'll wind up like I was for a while unable to remember which task needed to be done where I had left off and what the heck I needed to do for each in the first place. Don't bite off more than you can chew.

The next is knowing when to swing and when to shoot. Swinging axes and swords are for close rang, which is my specialty. I get bored waiting for the enemy to come to me and I'll go after them too quickly an there will be too many of them and they'll kill me. You need to use you arrows from a distance to take care of what's coming up ahead. Take down what you can from far away then take on the battle full scale when you have to be face to face. It's ironic because in Halo I'm much better at sniping than in Skyrim. I need to practice arrow usage.

Don't get caught up in the details. To many times I worry about money and thinking there won't be any resources to go back to. Don't worry about the details -they will work themselves out when you put in the work to accomplish your tasks. I a kajillionaire right now in the game by the way: 5,194 coin. What up! I have 5 horses, a home, and a new husband. We have matching Dwarven armor. 

Another important lesson learned is the difference between "good" and "evil". Movies and books like to paint these things as black and white clear: You're wither a Hobbit or an Orc. Skyrim shows more of reality where lines begin to blur and your view of "good and evil" depends on who you align yourself with. For example, there's a dark god you can choose to worship and follow. He will give you great strength, and in return asks you to kill and steal from men he says are bad. If you join the thieves guild -stealing looks less "bad" and more of what you're "supposed to be doing". If you join one side of an army -the opposing army is your enemy. If you choose to be on that other side, than the other opposing side is the enemy. Who you align yourself with and what you choose to accomplish then dictate your projection of morality. "Stealing is bad because I align myself with a group that prides itself on giving to the less fortunate and being honest." "Stealing is good because I align myself with a group that prides itself on stealth and the ability to trick people in order to take things from them."

Lastly, remember it's not life and death -it's just a game. Don't take it so seriously that you prevent yourself from enjoying it.

3 comments:

  1. I'm mostly impressed with your battle strategy, and how it's developed. When you first began playing Skyrim, I never thought that you would get to the point you now tell me "the trick is to attack from the sides" and the like. You're a very amusing person to figure out. Still lots of lines I'm trying to connect within you.

    I love your "I HATE YOU!!!" attack cries...LOLOLOL

    12

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Oh poopie" seems to be my new favorite choice of words when I play and lose. Also random cuss words i never use outside of the game room...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah you actually said "fuck" for the first time (that I heard you). I was like O.O

    12

    ReplyDelete