Monday, June 27, 2011

My Todaily Life

Today I took a little adventure down a fair distance to a part of town I had never been before. I was expecting Slumsville or Ordnaryia, but instead I go mini Beverly Hills. I was like, holy crap! This is a nice place. I can never afford to live here. There were bright sidewalks, tall palm trees, sweeping white staircases leading to front doors… Even the roads seemed fresher. And yet, 5 minutes away was an area that had dismal apartments that ran for $875 a month. On my way back I couldn’t help but notice that every where I passed there seemed to be some sort of business – be it a mom and pop shop or Baskin Robbins. There was everything. Every sort of store you could ever possibly need in a 15 minute time span apart. We are so spoiled here. You need something? Odds are it’s within an immediate distance. Food: High Class, Fast Food, Sit In Restaurant, Farmer’s Market, Bakery, Safemart, Saveway, and even the Dollar Store has food. And gas stations. There’s food in places you wouldn’t think there would be food in. Need furniture? Target, Good Will, Furniture X… Need Bungee Jumping Cord? Target (maybe), Outdoor Supply Shops… Anything you want and can usually afford. No matter how bad they say life in the U.S. is getting, I still think we have it pretty good. There’s no war in this country (Although we are at war with other countries – it is still on their turf, not ours). There’s no plague of cholera or malaria we need to worry about. Still got clean drinking water. When’s the last time you saw someone wandering around I rags with no shoes on? I think some things have just become more obvious during this Recession. Homelessness isn’t new. In fact I don’t think there was a time in America’s history when homeless people didn’t exist. There have always been “poor” and “rich”. It was just that there was a majority of the “middle class” and too make them feel better about society the other two were then labeled “upper-middle” and “lower-middle”. Now the middle is disappearing and where back to poor and rich. But we’re still pretty well off-ish. I don’t know. I just think we should at least appreciate the conveniences in our lives. Anything that makes life simpler should be applauded, not taken for granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment