Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Supernatural

Why do I like Supernatural? At first I avoided watching it because it was pretty dang scary. I’m frightened easily so that’s not saying much. I guess fear kept me intrigued in the beginning.

I found the cliché of a “rough around the edges guy” and a “sensitive guy” to be kind of annoying at first. But Dean was interesting. He reminded me of what a lovechild between Rob Thomas and John Mayer would look like. He was funny and I appreciate his classic car and classic music. Sam is a cancer –in real life and on the show for the most part. He also has some Scorpio in there thanks to his higher education. So I related to his character pretty easily.

Then there were the monsters they killed, which were pretty interesting cases based on real urban legends. Some of the episodes were down-right hilarious. Then the demons came into play and at first I didn’t like that the show had taken a “religious” turn. Suddenly angels got involved and I thought they were going a little overboard with Biblical references put in the twist of modern time. But God bless Castiel. That guy was so funny and serious at the same time.

The show started getting darker and more intense. Ruby annoyed the hell out of me. I still don’t like her. But she did add an interesting twist to the show. And Bobby is an endearing character. I guess somewhere along the way the plot of the show thickened and I kept wanting to see more and more episodes. It started getting intense and frightening.

It’s kind of like Buffy the Vampire Slayer. You have your jokes and your goofy moments, but in between there’s real struggle going on. Buffy wouldn’t have signed up to be a hunter. The crap they go through is a little more intense than what she experienced.

I also like the background they give an actual superstitions, religious practices and symbols, and ancient myths.

7 comments:

  1. I thought that Buffy was stupid too. o.O

    I don't think I fit in the particular demographic these shows are shooting for, I'm afraid.

    It's ok. We have plenty of other geeky interests in common. =)

    12

    ReplyDelete
  2. You didn't like Buffy?... wow... lost 10 points of respect for you just then...

    I still maintain you would like the show when demons get involved...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember when I first watched Buffy after all of the hype. I was like, "Really."

    It was my same feeling when I looked at Twilight.

    You need to understand that these shows target young, white American females, the boyfriends who are trying to get the favor of them, and people who wish they were young, white, American female.

    There are exceptions to every rule obviously, but this is the target audience.

    I know you don't like when I talk this way "demographic" and "target" audiences is a fact of life. I think you think that something is good just because you like it, but in reality it's good because that's what you are and it appeals to *you* --- but won't for everyone.

    12

    ReplyDelete
  4. So does Arthur appeal to young, white American females? Beucase I like Arthur, Fight Club, and other "guy flicks". What about people who watch shows targeted towards them, but still are versatile enough to also enjoy shows that aren't?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wh do I keep confusing Arthur with Luther??? Going to practice my brain test now...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just because you're versatile enough to expand your likes, doesn't mean you're not a sucker to shows that appeal directly to people like you. Hey, I'm the same. Show me a good black comedy with pretty girls and I'm gone. =)

    The fact that you think one of the characters is "rough around the edges" proves you've been had. That dude is a pretty boy, and about as rough as my container of Chips Ahoy I'm looking at right now. lol

    And it's ok!!


    12

    ReplyDelete
  7. You would like the show as it progresses though. Especially when angels start fighting demons.

    ReplyDelete