Wednesday, February 15, 2012

The Spiritualist and the Psychic Part 4 (2/10/12)

Speaking to the Dead.

This was frightening actually. My friend and I were talking about it the other day. We accidentally got into another Harry Potter debate (consequently if I can find someone who has thoroughly read all 7 books and I re-watch all 7 movies and Harry engages in nothing that can be concretely linked to actual witchcraft I can gain Harry clemency and clear his good name). And so today I actually wrote this topic down as one of the things I was going to write about in my blog. Then I was going through Nancy and Sheila’s book and came across the words: Speaking to the dead. It hit the topic on the head, dead center. It freaked me out a little.

Anyway, my friend takes the notion of talking to the dead on any level as “delving with spirits and demons”. He says you are not supposed to communicate with anything that is dead or undead. I agree with this for the most part.

Agree: Communicating with the paranormal is, again, opening a door that other negative entities can come through. At best, it would still keep loved ones and people you trust who had passed away more Earthbound than they should be. Those people are suppose to let go and crossover. It’s almost cruel to ask a loved one to leave heaven so they can hold your hand through your life struggles. There are people here who are alive that you can reach out to. There are too many risks involved with reaching out to spirits, and many people abuse that kind of contact anyway.

Disagree: Communicating with dead loved ones who try and reach out just to let you know they are there is not immoral or wrong. If the deceased members of your family or your friends try to make their presence known to you, you can acknowledge it. I still wouldn’t openly communicate with them constantly or openly, but if you are 100% certain it is your loved one, what daughter wouldn’t embrace her mother’s presence after she had just passed away? It’s not wrong, but like grief it is something to eventually be let go of and moved on from. Those moments are meant to be rare and precious, not frequently sought after.

Sheila and Nancy also talk about funerals and visiting cemetery plots. Both agree the soul is gone by the time the funeral is had and if they are around they don’t enjoy pr benefit anything from seeing their body buried in the dirt. However it does help the living get closure from the death of a loved one. The ceremony is really for the living to move on, not the dead. Sheila actually believes the soul gains nothing from having its body put in a casket. She had her father cremated –but only after 3 days. She says the soul should have 3 days to transition and let go of its body completely before you cremate it.

Both Nancy and Sheila say they hate funeral services because they are too regimented. The services afterwards however often provide a way for family and friends to share stories about the recently deceased and it paints a clearer, more complete picture of that person’s life. Nancy says visiting graves of loved ones also helps her pay her respects to those she cares about who are no longer on this earth.

Sheila says she doesn’t like or believe in the concept of “saints”. She says that it is strange that some people are chosen to be “saints” even though millions have done great works throughout history. She says in heaven all souls are saints.

Sheila’s last thoughts shared in the book include the experience of a daughter losing her father. Being a 23 year old daddy’s girl myself, this has always been a particular fear of mine. I worry. My mom’s death will be far easier than my dad’s. I’ve always been closer to my dad and I’ve seen all of the sacrifices he has made for my sister and I and he has fought more for us to be in his life than any other dad I’ve seen. Seeing him grow weak and become dependent on my sister and me for support will be hard. That may be the hardest death I will ever have to endure - second only to the death of my two sisters.

Sheila also reminds people not to feel regret if you aren’t there the moment they pass away. The person passing knows you want to be there with them. They feel no anger or resentment on the Other Side. They understand we will all meet up again eventually. Love is selfless. Without it people become cold and empty. In heaven and in death we reach love in its pure state. But in life we need to grow and expand as souls. “Steel is nothing until put into the flame and beaten into shape”.

1 comment:

  1. "(consequently if I can find someone who has thoroughly read all 7 books and I re-watch all 7 movies and Harry engages in nothing that can be concretely linked to actual witchcraft I can gain Harry clemency and clear his good name)."

    --- Nope. If the words "witch", "witchcraft", or "sorcery" are used, no deal. Also we've already seen that he can do curses. He chooses not to, but his power comes from the same source of evil curses, thereby making his power evil.

    Game over, have a nice day!

    As for the rest of this...too much to comment on. Long story short --- As I've said before, Jesus has a different view of the afterlife. If a day ever comes that you choose to follow Him, you'll have to figure out if He is a liar or not.

    You have a lot of knowledge about ghosts and afterlife that comes from earth and from movies...you need to update your information with Truth from Above.

    12

    ReplyDelete