Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Makeup at Macys

My friend had a gift card for Macys and wanted to use it so we stopped by there yesterday. I don't usually go into places like that because they're wayyy too expensive in general. When you walk into Macys and fine their beauty department they have about 8 different stations covering areas from lipstick to face wash to eye shadow and then different brands like Clinique and Revlon. 

The first thing I did was notice all the pictures of models everywhere. First I tried to distinguish any Photoshopping that had been done, which in some instances was quite apparent. The next thing I noticed was all the models featured were white. Out of 20 different images of models featured only 3 were black and only 1 was Asian. 


Next thing I noticed were prices. $35 for a brush to apply your rouge, $45 for a Michael Kors keychain, $20 for lipstick, $50 for bronzer. 

Next was the multitudes of variety found in the makeup itself. 40 different shades of lipstick. 


And at the end of it all being overwhelmed by the sheer volume of products and the prices of each all I could think was, "Everything is sooooo organized. And women have such a variety here. You could easily see a women dropping $175 on makeup alone." And in spite of the elegant arrangements of colors in eye shadow and foundation, this is all I could picture in my mind:


How did we get here? A place where in one country a woman can spend $175 on vanity that inevitably will come to an end just as surely as the sun sets each day, but an entire life of a child can be ended so swiftly by the treacherous nature of their environment alone, without even taking starving to death into consideration.

How do we do this? How can we live in a world that is so informed and understanding so readily available and yet we be so ignorant of the most significant things in this life? How do we not care of one another and instead put vice and superficiality above human beings themselves? 

I can try to make sense of a lot of things in this life, but the price a woman can put on her face outweighing the price humans must pay in the knowing that we neglect our own species isn't something I can reconcile in my mind or my soul. 

No comments:

Post a Comment