Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Post-Jury Duty

It was brief, but definitely fated.

You walk in and it's like going through the TSA, only they don't ask for your ID or your shoes. Then it becomes more of a DMV where you hand over the questionnaire you received in the mail, get handed another questionnaire, and sit down in a room full of 400 people in chairs. I was juror #67 out of the 400 summoned.

The first moment of deja vulnerability actually happened in the women's bathroom. I remembered the brown tile on the wall and being in that room. The second came when the tv on the wall switched to the image of a court room and the main person their first addressed us as a group.

Then the jury commissioner -who was a very nice woman- explained to us what the process would be like. There were 26 trials set to last 1 day -aka tomorrow. We were to be called for the specific group of about 30 people we were assigned to and needed to write the number they called out on the top of our questionnaire.

When they said the name of the judge affiliated with the second group I felt compelled to write his name down and Knew that was my group. I was also borderline intuitively "told" to pay attention to the number called because it had spiritual meaning. Sure enough that Was my group and I was given #27. 27 is my spiritual number, equating to "9", and also me being born February 27th.

The next interesting thing to happen was the woman sitting next to me said, "What are the odds? I got called 26 in the same group as you and we're sitting right next to each other. Maybe we're both lucky." Then the woman to my left said, "That same thing happened to me the last time I had jury duty. Weird."

I was initially silent since bringing spiritual stuff and fate never usually goes over well with most usual/practical people, but then the woman to my left said, "And I saw you write down the judges name as if you knew that was your group." So I explained that I find spiritually sense that it was.

Then a judge introduced himself and started talking about the jury process and I felt like I was meant to take note of some of it, so here's the info I found most important:

~The right to a fair trial is the 7th Ammendment in the Bill of Rights and separates our country from others that do not have a fair process *Basically if the government says you're guilty you'll likely be executed like in Henry the 8th times*
~Some states elect judges who run for office spending millions and corruption and favoritism usually follow (like special treatment to lawyers and their clients who donated to the judges campaign)
~Some states have judges appointed by government officials, which also tends to lead to corruption, favoritism, and nepotism (if you're in with the appointee you're a win-win for the position, even if you're less qualified)
~But Colorado is different. They have "Merit Selection" where a large group of citizens from the community will elect local judges for their area and go through a list of candidates -reviewing their applications and giving interviews like a job position. The top 3 candidates are then sent to the governor to review and pick the final candidate. Then for "Retention Judges" that come up for review because their term has ended; a committee is assigned to monitor and review the judge's cases and vote whether they should be re-elected. The public then votes on those judges.
~For jury members, there are 3 categories of cases:
1. Civil trials, which is usually one party using the other and usually only has 3 jury members
2. Misdemeanor trials, which are smaller criminal cases that usually have 6 jury members
3. Felony trials, which are serious crimes that usually have 12 jury members.
~Most trials in Colorado don't last longer than 3 days, and the ones today we're actually only going to be 1 day long.

So yeah, learned some things today. Also prayed over everything and everyone there -It's about the most random cross-section I'd people you can get. I think God leads me to random places and groups of diverse people do no one gets left out.

Then just like that it was over. The entire group of 30 people I was a part of was dismissed -not needed.

I was worried something bad might happen on the drive home, I still maintain something big will happen in the next couple days or weeks. But 2 things did come up.

First, I genuinely think I'm meant to get a Lotto ticket (would not waste my money on one unless I felt that strongly compelled to). And I was led to understand the numbers to put down on the drive home.

The second thing was stopping behind a truck that had the words "You're Needed" pop out at me followed by a butterfly soaring over the truck in the sky above. "You're Needed Above".

And it occurred to me that I've spent brief periods of time popping in and out of different groups, jobs, and people's lives always trying to improve things and make things better -but never staying put forever. And maybe that's supposed to be my point here on Earth. Not a permanent residency, just a brief encounter to bless as much as I can.

Maybe I'm meant to move onto "More". More of what I'm intended for and what's intended for me the way I have been over the years.

No comments:

Post a Comment