Monday, September 18, 2017

New Transitions: End of House Cleaning

Things have shifted a lot and a lot has happened since June? I haven't written anything since June? It's September now. 

I've been meaning to write but also felt like it wasn't time and I was meant to be doing other things. And maybe it's appropriate that I write this now. Having formally acknowledged "the good" that was to be found in house cleaning as I move out of that job and embark on finding something new. 

The pay and hours were always inconsistent with house cleaning. On average I'd make about $400 to $500 every 2 weeks -barely enough to pay rent. So I took on another job which I love at a unique "vertical greenhouse" that grows crops for local supermarkets. I get to learn about growing plants and work alongside my new best friend Elaine (who was working at the same house cleaning company as me and I invited to work beside me at the greenhouse). The work is physically challenging but I go home happy at the end of the day, so it's good. 

Then 2 weeks ago sh*t went downhill with the house cleaning job. 

Sunday: You have no houses tomorrow because it's Labor Day -a holiday -with no pay. 
Monday: You have no houses tomorrow because people cancelled. 
Tuesday: You have no houses tomorrow. 
Wednesday: You have 2 houses tomorrow.
Thursday: You have no houses tomorrow. 
Sunday: You have no houses.
Monday: No houses. 
Tuesday: One house (which was wayyyyyy out in the boondocks of nowhere.)
Wednesday: NOTHING. Not even a text telling me there was nothing. 
Thursday: Nothing.
Friday: Nothing. 

It was around the first Thursday I started getting really concerned. Like maybe this is their way of "firing" an employee without actually firing someone: just take away all their hours. 

I'd been working with a girl who constantly complained about house cleaning, was actively seeking jobs, and would rush through houses to get out of there was fast as she could. As a team of 2 we would then be rated as "not so good" when clients would give feedback on the cleaning. And there was only so much I could do since she became a friend and was team lead. So then it looks like I'm not doing good. Which sucks. 

So was genuinely concerned about being fired. Then realized: This company is screwed. At any given time they do not know who Is or Isn't employed. People will quit out of nowhere and just not answer calls and show up. Every couple of weeks it's, "So and so quit." And the people that do work are actively looking for other jobs so they can quit. So even those who are employed aren't necessarily clear to be still in the job. 

Imagine a company that is so out of touch with its employees it doesn't know if they are still employed, if they are committed to staying, and when they do quit the response is, "Oh well, moving on..." as if it didn't even matter. The turn-over rate was insane. 

Right now an employee who was one of the best they had is quitting after working there over a year because he kept getting marked down for the crappy work his team partner (who already quit) was getting. He was then paired with a new girl who was also struggling. 

Right now a girl who's worked in house cleaning over 8 years and 6 months at this particular place is looking for an out. 

Right now a girl they recently hired who's only worked there 1 month is looking for an out. 

And after 3 months o actually liking the work and the people I was working with, I've officially left the company. No job locked in place to replace it. 

I can't work for a place that doesn't employ its employees. 2 weeks of no work is insane. 

By the second Wednesday I was driving far into nowhere and waiting an extra 30 minutes because the girl I was being paired up with that day was late. The team lead then introduced me to a new girl they just hired who would essentially become my team lead. The team lead then proceeded to tell me this house clean was a test run so she could look over my shoulder the whole time and tell me everything I was doing wrong. Which wasn't much, but when you get shuffled between different teams and work with 3+ team leads you hear different advice and procedures on how to clean specific things and everyone has their own approach. So I did things right by some and wrong by others. 

I was done. I was pissed, I didn't feel I was valued, I felt like this place didn't care about me or would even notice if I left... I was upset nd very angry. And the manager kept saying she wanted to talk to me to go over some new company policy, but then kept saying, "Well can I talk with you tomorrow to go over it, I'm too busy right now..." for several days. 

And I thanked God those calls never happened. I wanted to vent and kind of rage-out my thoughts and upset feelings. But I love the manager as a person. She's a great person and I love her personality. But this organization and the way that it's run is deeply frustrating and not at all sustainable. 

So I peacefully texted that I was leaving yesterday and the manager wished me well and I wished her well and was glad we could end things in that way. Spiritually it was clear that it was just time to move on top something else. 

The main problem I have right now working paycheck to paycheck is instead of making $500 over the past 2 weeks I've only made about $36. I only have part-time work that would not be enough to cover rent. All of this is meant to be happening and I know it, but... Money is a thing. 

I've applied to tons of stuff at this point. Doggy daycare, senior center care, cafe cleanup at a museum... interesting things, but nothing's panned out. I do NOT want to go back to working in a  cubicle. I've moved on from that. No more being as boxed in as a human can be. 

So we'll see what happens. Lots of prayers for clarity, abundance, stability, and fulfillment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment