Monday, September 5, 2016

The Lives of Children Part 1: Saint Anne

Anne Frank. I think I see her differently than some people. Especially since 90% of the time, the only time you ever hear her name is within some kind of holocaust joke. 

There’s a spiritual way to listen, see, and in this case READ. Your soul can feel the truth as it passes through the eyes to the mind and within. When I read her words I know it. This girl was deeply spiritual and wise beyond her years.

There were hundreds of thousands of children systematically murdered throughout Europe over the decades of that time. Only 1 had words recovered. I don’t think it’s a coincidence by any stretch of the imagination. It always seems like these kinds of atrocities are marked by someone like that. It’s like a warning from Heaven: “If you seek to trespass in this way may you come to know the full gravity of this pain you inflict.”

These crimes are always made that much more starkly recognizable when the souls of the innocent are made that plain.

I believe she was a saint. People –especially Catholics –may have different notions about what qualifies a person for that title. For me, it’s someone who sheds light upon the souls of a people that are deemed of no value. Someone who covers the souls of the innocent with grace and light in a kind of shepherding ways. Not all saints are martyred. Not all saints are Catholic. 

In this case she is the Saint of "Children Deemed Worthy of Being Killed". Not just victims of war. Not just victims of religious persecution. But any child whose soul would be ignored and body destroyed for senseless reasons of violence.

She stands as a marker. And a warning. The gravity of this kind of atrocity.

And yet it’s happening again. Children born of a faith not chosen to be raised in, seeking to flee a tyrannical force pending their suffering and death –are turned away AGAIN as Anne and her family were denied entrance into the United States for sanctuary under the suspicion of being “Nazis”. Can you imagine being denied salvation from the people trying to kill you because those that could save you think you ARE those destroyers of life?

I don’t know how people can look at Syrian children and think: Terrorists. How can people deny sanctuary while at the same time claim to reside in a "Christian" Nation that upholds His virtues? ISIS are our Nazis and what we do determines whether we have learned anything as a people or whether we’re still led by ignorance and fear to abandon those in need.

This is Hypocrisy.

And the price has always been the death of children.

“Look at how a single candle can both defy and define the darkness.”  Anne Frank

“If we bear all this suffering and if there are still Jews left, when it is over, then Jews, instead of being doomed, will be held up as an example.”  Anne Frank

“I don't want to have lived in vain like most people. I want to be useful or bring enjoyment to all people, even those I've never met. I want to go on living even after my death!”  Anne Frank

“It's difficult in times like these: ideals, dreams and cherished hopes rise within us, only to be crushed by grim reality. It's a wonder I haven't abandoned all my ideals, they seem so absurd and impractical. Yet I cling to them because I still believe, in spite of everything, that people are truly good at heart.”  Anne Frank, The Diary of a Young Girl

“Parents can only give good advice or put them on the right paths, but the final forming of a person's character lies in their own hands.”  Anne Frank

“The best remedy for those who are afraid, lonely or unhappy is to go outside, somewhere where they can be quite alone with the heavens, nature and God. Because only then does one feel that all is as it should be and that God wishes to see people happy, amidst the simple beauty of nature. As longs as this exists, and it certainly always will, I know that then there will always be comfort for every sorrow, whatever the circumstances may be. And I firmly believe that nature brings solace in all troubles.”  Anne Frank, The Diary of a Young Girl

“Because paper has more patience than people. ”  Anne Frank

“Although I'm only fourteen, I know quite well what I want, I know who is right and who is wrong. I have my opinions, my own ideas and principles, and although it may sound pretty mad from an adolescent, I feel more of a person than a child, I feel quite independent of anyone.”  Anne Frank, The Diary of Anne Frank

“Memories mean more to me than dresses.”  Anne Frank

“I know what I want, I have a goal, an opinion, I have a religion and love. Let me be myself and then I am satisfied. I know that I’m a woman, a woman with inward strength and plenty of courage.”  Anne Frank, The Diary of a Young Girl

“Everyone thinks I'm showing off when I talk, ridiculous when I'm silent, insolent when I answer, cunning when I have a good idea, lazy when I'm tired, selfish when I eat one bite more than I should.”  Anne Frank, The Diary of a Young Girl

“I don't have much in the way of money or worldly possessions, I'm not beautiful, intelligent or clever, but I'm happy, and I intend to stay that way! I was born happy, I love people, I have a trusting nature, and I'd like everyone else to be happy too. ”  Anne Frank

“Ever since I was a little girl and could barely talk, the word 'why' has lived and grown along with me. It's a well-known fact that children ask questions about anything and everything, since almost everything is new to them. That is especially true of me, and not just as a child. Even when I was older, I couldn't stop asking questions.
I have to admit that it can be annoying sometimes, but I comfort myself with the thought that "You won't know until you ask," though by now I've asked so much that they ought to have made me a professor.

When I got older, I noticed that not all questions can be asked and that many whys can never be answered. As a result, I tried to work things out for myself by mulling over my own questions. And I came to the important discovery that questions which you either can't or shouldn't ask in public, or questions which you can't put into words, can easily be solved in your own head. So the word 'why' not only taught me to ask, but also to think. And thinking has never hurt anyone. On the contrary, it does us all a world of good.”  
Anne Frank

“People who have a religion should be glad, for not everyone has the gift of believing in heavenly things.”  Anne Frank

“I've reached the point where I hardly care whether I live or die. The world will keep on turning without me, I can't do anything to change events anyway.”  Anne Frank, The Diary of a Young Girl

“The question is very understandable, but no one has found a satisfactory answer to it so far. Yes, why do they make still more gigantic planes, still heavier bombs and, at the same time, prefabricated houses for reconstruction? Why should millions be spent daily on the war and yet there's not a penny available for medical services, artists, or for poor people?

Why do some people have to starve, while there are surpluses rotting in other parts of the world? Oh, why are people so crazy?”  
Anne Frank


“Dead people receive more flowers than the living ones because regret is stronger than gratitude.”  Anne Frank

No comments:

Post a Comment