Friday, May 23, 2014

Patron Saints

My friend gave me a heart-shaped necklace with a picture of a saint in the center, but I'm not sure which one it is. Then again, I'm not sure who any of them are. So I decided to look them up and get the basics for who the main saints are -expecting there to be about 20 main ones. There are 100s... 

Saints are like species of animals -many different ones with their own properties. Saints break down into 3 categories: Places, Occupation, Illnesses/External Struggles. 

So for example there's a Saint for South America, Ireland, France... Sailors, Accountants, Bakers... Blindness, Wounded, Plagues... 

It's easier to pick a saint based on what area of concern you need support with than actually knowing all the saints themselves. And saints vary in detail from those who have a long, well-mapped out past and story to those people know little to nothing about. I've found a list of the most "popular" saints and will be making a future post about the top ones. Archangels are also included as "saints" sometimes for some reason like St. Michael the Archangel, although I personally choose to distinguish between Disciples/Those who met Christ in-person, Saints/Those who have performed miracles or furthered Christians in some way, and Angels.

No comments:

Post a Comment