Wednesday, January 15, 2014

The Speech I Gave Today

I gave the blog I wrote in May titled "Mother's Day...and Night....and Morning" for a speech this morning. It went well. 
I was torn about what to speak on yesterday. I was leaning towards all the Facebook posts my mom has been making lately and (not mentioning her by name) using what she said as an example on how to handle a friend's inappropriate or bigoted posts on Facebook or speaking in person. But it seemed too harsh. Then I reread the post from May and was surprised by how hilarious it was. I think at the time it was written in sarcasm and frustration but now it's just kind of hilarious. So I decided to go with that. 

What surprised me the most about what I'd written was the moral I wrote at the end of the story back in May. It seems to resonate with the struggles I've been having with my mom lately and serves as a reminder to be there for people -especially when it's hard to. 

"This is what Family means. Because anybody can fill out a stupid card they buy for $2 at the store and throw in some cutesy Mother's Day gift that means nothing, but how many kids would go out of their way to open their meager home to be openly scrutinized and altered by a parent?

Family is shown in the moments when it's an inconvenient pain to be there for someone you love, but you do it anyway because you love them. It means opening yourself up to the exaggerations and the criticisms because you love that person regardless of how they see you or present you to others. It means Being There for someone when they Need You. Family is shown in the moments when you need Family.

Be there for people. Be there for Friends. Be there for Family. Be there for Strangers. Be there to love the people around you because they need you to -even if they're sometimes a pain to put up with." 

No comments:

Post a Comment