Thursday, November 7, 2013

Ghosts and Other Updates

2 experiences (possibly paranormal):

I was at dad's house in my sister's room and our cat "Kitten" was in her doorway. We both heard a "meow" but it was distant and neither of us saw Kitten make a sound or movement. We both figured since he was the only living cat around it may have been the ghost of our cat "Alex' that passed away a couple years ago. 

My sister was in her bathroom yesterday morning. She was going to brush her teeth so she got the toothpaste out of the cabinet above the sink. She was about to apply the toothpaste to the toothbrush when a ring that had been in the back shelf in the cabinet flung itself out. She said she tried to re-enact what happened to see if that could occur naturally. She said had the ring fallen it would have gone strait down -not flung out. Also it was in the back of the shelf. Also she had already gotten the toothpaste out and was holding it when the ring flung out -not being knocked out by the toothpaste when she grabbed it.

In other news:

2 weeks ago the youth-mentoring programmed I joined had our first official "community meeting" in which 40 teens and 20 mentors gathered in a library at a high school from 5:30pm-8:30pm on a Wednesday night. One of the more interesting things that happened that night was we were out in groups of 8 (5 kids and 3 mentors) and told we were going to play a game. The game consisted of building a 10 story tall tower out of cue cards. The kids had 3 minutes to strategize then everyone had to be completely silent. We had 15 minutes to make the tower and ALL of the towers had to connect to each other in some way. 

Our tower was smallest -which made it seem like we were on the losing end of things. But then after all the towers were finished they brought out 3 huge bouncy balls and said our new objective was to protect the towers from being destroyed. 

Most of the kids gathered around their towers. Some kids purposely went out of their way to knock down their "competitors" towers so they would win. Since ours was the smallest it ended up being the easiest to gather around and defend. We were the last standing. 

We then sat in a circle around the completely obliterated towers and cue cards scattered everywhere. We were asked how we felt when others went out of their way to destroy our towers without our consent. 

Then the group leader went around the room and asked each person one of 4 questions:

Who do you protect?

Who protects or looks after you?

Who do you wish would look after you? 

Who should look after you but doesn't? 

For the girls the answers were mostly: 

I look after my sister.
My family looks after me. 

For the boys the answers were mostly: 

I protect myself. 
I look after my family. 
I look after myself. 
I wish my dad looked after me. 
My dad should look after me.

The next interesting thing that happened to me recently was a fair that I went to that was used to raise funds for kids with learning disabilities. At the fair I had a table and brought a bunch of art supplies so kids could come to my table and draw. The event was on Saturday from 12pm-4pm at a church. Nobody really showed up. A few families showed up with their kids but left after about 30 minutes. There was a Christian rock band (that kind of sucked), 2 bounce houses, a booth where you could blow bubbles, a Henna booth, and a petting zoo.

Towards the end of the event the families with kids in the program came and one boy was brought over to my table to draw. I've never really been comfortable around people with learning disabilities. They are often unpredictable and act irrationally -which usually makes me feel pretty nervous because their impulsive actions can be so out of the ordinary. But I'm not afraid of them as people -just their actions. 

The boy yelled from time to time -mostly about heating a train. But I didn't really care. I was really interested to see what he would draw. It kind of looked like he was spelling a word or making a design. For the first 15 pages of paper it was the same design. I wondered if somewhere in another culture it could be translated to mean something. Then he made a new word or design. Again he kept repeating it on every piece of paper. He was definitely writing something in his mind that registered with him. I wish I could see through his eyes to see what he sees and what his experiences are like so I can better relate.

We then watched some of the older kids in the program perform a couple dance routines for about an hour. It was actually pretty entertaining. I wished more people had shown up. It seems like such a pity that they went to all that effort to ultimately raise funds for their program and the only people who really showed up were people and families from the program itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment