Sunday, September 1, 2013

Uncovering Truth

What is it? Because people have debated over it for a while now. I've decided to put them into categories -because I'm a woman and that's what we do #Truth.

1. "Your" Truth

In a speech I give the person evaluating it then stands up and says, "I don't think you're voice projected loudly enough because I could not hear you that well during parts of it. It would be better if you spoke louder next time."

The rest of the room is confused considering they heard the speech just fine. But it is also common knowledge to most people in the room that the evaluator has issues with being partially deaf. It was therefore TRUE that I was not speaking loud enough for him, even though the rest of the room would have considered that statement NOT to be TRUE for themselves individually.

2. The Truth

"The open I am currently holding in my hand is.... BLUE!!!!" -Jim Carrey, Liar, Liar

That man had what is socially known as an "affair". He "cheated" on his wife. He slept with another woman. You can pretend like it didn't happen and you can LIE and say it never occurred, but it is the TRUTH, a FACT, that it happened.

3. Greater Truth

What is the meaning of life? "The meaning of life is to do as you are told and don't complain about it". NO, that is YOUR truth. "The Truth" is that nobody knows for certain because it is a "Greater Truth" and is therefore harder to find, discern, define, and pin down.

The Truth in Action:

My Truth: I don't like Len. Len says the Zodiac Signs are "controversial" and would probably say the same for things like gay rights and discussing things like religion/spirituality. They are "messy" topics with no clear "right or wrong" and since their could be debate involved better to say NAY and avoid such topics because they make people feel uncomfortable and they are "controversial".

The Truth:

Why does Len act the way he does? He is mentally-oriented and therefore likes things that are defined, clear, and easy to explain. He does not like things that are harder to discuss and usually lead to illogical feelings and personal sentiments. Len never shares things about "Feelings" unless it is happiness/joy/amusement. Len doesn't share feelings. Len fears feelings. The loss of control. The loss of sensibility. "Giving into" anger and sadness. He'd rather stand "strong".

Why don't I like Len? I am more spiritual/emotional. I can be rational, but get defensive when people insult or cast aside spiritual/emotional things. I see Truth in feelings and acknowledge that some subjects are worth mucking through the dirt for. sometimes life gets messy and I've seen too many messes in dysfunctional families, the rape of friends and family members, and yelling and screaming and secrets and pain. I acknowledge THE TRUTH -even when it's painful to. And those who would rather avoid it and sweep it under a rug or pretend like it isn't there frighten me. What kind of darkness are they hiding?

Len bothers me because he is "closed-minded". He doesn't leave room to discuss things that fall "outside of the box". I acknowledge this as The Truth and not MY Truth because I would prefer The Truth to be that we get along just fine and the things he says don't bother me. But that would be a lie.

Greater Truth:

Len can be a great sounding board. To see what topics I can discuss and to what extent I can persuade a listener to understand The Truth -even if it was not initially Their Truth. I can share what I have discovered and learned from life and help others do the same even if they do not initially agree with me. It's not about being right all the time, it's about saying and doing what is right. Let others decide for themselves with Truths they will adopt as their own.

No comments:

Post a Comment