I was inspired by the Mixer last night and I've sort of pseudo-decided to host a mixer of my own through Promote Her Business.
The first thing you've got to do when planning a possible mixer is make a list of the topics you want to cover/focus on. I want my mixer to be a way for people to share what their favorite causes/non- profit charities are and try to figure out ways to better promote those causes.
I also need to find a venue that will host 20-40 people from 6-7:30pm and not cost a fortune. One step at a time...
So here are my notes for the unofficial "Agenda" of topics I would like to raise:
1) Writers and Speakers?
o Do you work better as a Writer, a Speaker, or both?
2) What does your Cause NEED?
· Tangible Items
o Career Closet, EHC, Salvation Army
· Dollar Donations
o WWF, Children’s Hunger Fund, ST. Jude’s
o Habitat for Humanity, Beautiful Day, CCPY
3) What can you give?
· Tangible Items
4) What kind of Cause is it?
· People: Children/Disabled/Under-privileged
· Health: Disease/Disorder/Treatment/Discouraging Unhealthy Habits
· Poverty/Quality of Life/ Sub-par Conditions/ Natural Disaster
· Social Conflict/ War/ Genocide
· Abuse/ Personal Tragedy/ Grief
· Personal Embetterment/ Education/ Opportunities/ Services
· Tell a Story –focus less on Statistics
· Use solid branding, bold images and clear messaging
· What part of the cause do you/others respond to most?
· How can you promote the Cause?
o Social Media v. In-Person
· Model cause after Successful Examples of other causes
· Problems with a new cause/ starting a non-profit
· Creating a sense of immediacy
· If you can’t accept it –change it: Find a way for people to consider Reality unacceptable to they seek to actively change it through your cause
By focusing on these topics we can help each other as a group to figure out our strengths/weaknesses in the area of cause promotion, devise a strategy to raise awareness for the cause, and support each other in these endeavors.