Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Re: Promoting My Friend's Business

Last night I met with my friend Jos and other women in the planning crew to create a video for Jos' mentoring program.

I've decided to stick it out and continue my involvement with my friend's plan. I'm probably going to be spending less time than I am now, but I'll stay and continue my support.

I work 7am-3pm at my company. Then when Jos needs me to come over I do (usually from 3:30pm-6pm 2 or 3 days out of the week). Then I'll usually come over either on Saturday and Sunday from 11am-4pm. I've been doing this for the past 4 months or so consistently.

And now the first Mixer is coming up -the first step in physically launching the business and getting people to come and join. But it wasn't until last night that I really saw the vision of this undertaking being implemented.

As we sat around a table concluding the meeting -we reached a point where we went around saying who we were, what are business is, and what kind of support or opportunities we're looking for. Jos looked at me and said, "So you can start us off -how can we help promote your business?"

I said something like, "Well I've been pretty busy helping the Jos with the business cards, flyers, and planning the mixers. I don't really know what I could want in terms of help. (I paused for a good minute looking around the room uncertain of what to say) I'm good. I don't really need anything i guess".

Then another woman at the table asked what it is I do. I said I was a graphic designer/artist and that when I helped people outside of my work it was usually with logos, branding, and helping them make their companies identity more concrete. So then the woman wrote down the name of a contact for me and said, "This woman has been looking for someone good to help redesign her logo, you should give her a call." Then another woman said that her company had based its logo off of some of the products they sell, but really wants to develop their own logo -so she said she'd email me.

Then everyone another woman introduced herself and said she helped people organize spaces -usually home offices and places that are getting rid of a lot of items. I thought, "My step-mom's been meaning to organize her office but hasn't had the time. Maybe she'd be interested in having this woman help..."

Then another woman mentioned that she was a professional dog sitter and house watcher. She said she was looking for more part-time people to assist since they had been getting a consistent amount of request to watch various homes and animals. My sister has been house-sitting on and off for people since earlier this year. She gladly volunteered her services and was excited to hear about the house-sitting opportunities.

Another woman said that she was looking for a professional assistant to help her around the office -and she looked directly at me and said, "I want someone like Jessica who is responsible and smart. I need someone who can learn quickly and take care of things."

Then Jos laughed and said to me, "Why aren't you popular!" Then she turned to the woman and joked, "You can't have her, she's mine."

I've never felt that before. Like people w\actually wanted my services -or that I was unique and sought after on some level. Normally I just keep my head down and do the work that's in front of me. I don't think anyone cares or notices -except when they like the work itself that is made. It kind of opened my eyes to the idea that maybe there is work outside of my office. Maybe I can do more than just what is expected. Maybe I can branch off and design art for other people as my own business.

I looked around the room and thought -this is the purpose. This is why Jos wanted this business in the first place. Honest networking in its natural form. A trust and friendship-based exchange of support and community. Not out of obligation or awkward lies about following through on false promises -but a real connection to others in business that you want to help and vice versa.

One last woman spoke as she looked towards my sister and I saying, "I want to get some younger girls like those two to help me organize and unload the last of these boxes of books I have still packed since moving to this new office. I just need 5 girls or so that can help get these books on shelves -then I can take them over to get manicures and pedicures when it's all done. It should only take 2 hours or so. Can you invite some friends you know and we can set up a time to just get it out of the way so i can actually have space to work in my office?"

My sister said, "Sure! I'll tell my friends and see who can come." I of course agreed as well.

People don't have to be neighbors to "help their neighbors" and be "good neighbors" to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment