Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Birthday

Today is my Birthday.

I first awoke at 3AM this morning. I felt a strange spiritual sensation I hadn't had since last year on my birthday. I usually associate this feeling with my mom's house and the ghost since I only had it when I would go and visit her and I would wake up at night to it.

I wish I could describe it. Like your body being enveloped by a not-so-subtle sense of numbing vibration. Not like your leg falling asleep, but like you're body is being taken over -without a sense of being possessed. Like you're being enveloped. Buried almost by the sensation. In the past it frightened me, but today I just brushed it off. I told myself, this soul belongs to God and God alone. No one else has any right to take it or effect it. It's God's property. I had no fear.

But after years of weird spiritual experiences I'm no longer fazed and I honestly don't really care anymore. 

Then I officially got up at 6AM because I have Toastmasters.

Heather, mi amiga at Toastmasters, asked everyone to stand and sing me happy birthday. I wasn't sure whether people knew or not, but they did. Last year they did this really embarrassing chair thing where I sat in a chair and 5 guys lifted me up in the chair once for every year I was born. I thought I was going to fall off. But the little unexpected birthday song really reminded me for the first time -Hey, it's your birthday.

Then I came into work, knowing that I have a very tasty and delicious cake awaiting me at the end of the day, and saw that my desk had been decorated -or deskorated as I call it. They always decorate people's desks when it's their birthday with streamers and balloons. But i had forgotten that tradition and was genuinely surprised when I came in.

Then people at the office started saying happy birthday as I walked by. And Laura, who also decorated my desk, mentioned that she had gotten me dark chocolate and milk chocolate hot chocolate. I had asked her the other day if we had any and she said no and I was dismayed. Laura is so thoughtful.

Then I got a text from my mom saying "Happy birthday sweetie!!!"

Then I checked my Facebook page and my timeline was full of birthday wishes.

And all the little things just kind of added up and really made me realize today is my birthday.

Before that I had only acknowledged the concept that "Today is February 27th and therefore I am now 25 years of age..."

But thanks to my friends and these collection of small gestures I now really feel like it's my birthday. Like I do have something to celebrate. And after everything that's happened earlier this week I could really use a pick-me-up.

Life will blind-side you to remind you of what really matters. And just when life starts getting too soberly depressing to handle, it will blind-side you again and remind you of what you have to be grateful for and happy about.

I love my friends and my family. The other day it occurred to me –My Facebook Feed isn’t like other peoples. I’m so used to seeing positive messages and funny stories and shared life moments from my friends that I just assumed that’s what everyone else sees on their feed. But it isn’t. Some people post negative things and only complain about life. I was blessed enough to find friends who encourage and support rather than tear down. I am thankful for everyone in my life and all the people who choose to share their lives with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment