Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Wow... Sh*t Shane...

Ayu, bless her heart, decided to have a business presentation shown to our friend Shane today. I told Ayu that Shane had a job finding/selling cars for people. He is 30 years old with that as his primary source of income and from what I hear he still lives at his mom's house.

I'd tell you more about Shane, but Ayu, so adorable, didn't really ask him/talk to him about how he's been and what he's been doing. She's kind of like my sister -more fact oriented than really having the patience to actually talk to people to see what their needs might be. She started throwing facts and numbers at him pretty fast. He shut down and closed up pretty fast.

Let's just say that Shane is "a young soul" who is currently lost, wearing jeans and a t-shirt, doing partial 5-minute research on topics he then invests 100% of his beliefs on. I also tried to survey his personality based on what I know about him and he is either: Gemini/Sagittarius or Taurus/Capricorn.

Anyways, Ayu asked him if he had heard of WFG and Shane said yes he had checked it out briefly 5 years ago and he didn't believe our product was good. I was like, Which one? We have many services/products associated with multiple companies. Shane was weird when asked about why he believed that. He said, "I just know the products aren't that good." Shane currently has Term Life -which is sh*t for the most part. Term life is set for a specific number of years -10, 15, or 20. It has No living benefits, the term premium increases with each year, it only provides death protection, and the policy is usually not renewable when it ends. Your essentially just paying for death coverage -period. That's it. Index Universal Life does soooo much more.

So Ayu was explaining all this to Shane, and I look over at him and he's sitting there with his chin resting on his palm, eyes glazed over, just repeating like a zombie "mmmhm, mmhhm, mmmmhm, yes I see, mmhhhm..." He wasn't listening, but Ayu just kept talking. It was a complete waste. I was frustrated because as a trainee-newbie I can't say anything. I threw out some good points where I could, but Ayu had full control of the conversation.

So Shane, expert that he is, tells us that he is content with just his Term Life, he has risky investments in various stocks in the market, and he has his car trading job... So he's pretty much set.

And we asked him, "Well what are you going to do for your retirement?" He said, "I don't care. I'm too young to worry about that. I don't care." I said, "Shane you need to plan now for this. Your retirement is whatever money you accumulate overtime and you can't rely solely on your income and your risky investments. Your screwing over your future self." He looked at me strait and said, "I don't care." I said, "What if you're broke when you're 60?" Again, "I don't care."

At that point I was like, ok lost cause -we're talking to a crazy person. Damn. He really doesn't care about retirement or his future well being whatsoever.

I've never met anyone who says they don't care about their future, except for two of my sister's friends. When somebody is that serious about believing they don't care bout the consequences of what may happen to them in the future they either: 1. Don't think they have a future or 2. They don't want a future. They are either insane or severely self-loathing. Or dead.

When a person doesn't believe they have much of a future/ doesn't think about the future/ has no plans for the future -They're stuck in the present. If you are driving a car around with no real plan on where your destination is at, you just keep driving by streets, Oh hey, that street sounds familiar...". If you don't plan on going anywhere in the future your stuck with wherever you are currently at until you decide to find a heading.

So Ayu just kept going on and on about facts Shane was tuning out nd Shane kept saying your products aren't that good. And he couldn't tell us why he thought our products weren't that good or which ones, he just stated generally with no facts to substantiate his claim. Ayu, smart woman that she is, decided to get a copy of Shane's current term policy to compare with the IUL we offer.

When people say they don't want to spend money on ensuring their health/ safety/ and future well being, they are saying that Money has more value in their lives than their lives themselves. I compare it to this: If I say I have a pill that will guarantee that you will not get cancer and all you have to do is take this pill once a month for a price of $100 a month, would you? In this case Shane would have said, "I'm only 30. I'm going to wait until I'm older to buy/take the pill since my risk for cancer is still pretty low right now. I'll just wait until the risk increases. I don't care."

The only people I know who would pass up the pill would be those who had never witnessed someone going through cancer treatment. If you have ever seen anyone suffering from that disease or dying from that disease, you'd take the damn pill no questions asked. I suppose it's the same with life insurance/ retirement plans. It isn't until you see a family struggle financially after the death of a loved one or a seen someone at the age of 72 have to go back to work because they can't afford to retire off of what they've made.

Lesson learned:

People are doors. Some doors are open and others are locked shut. Shane was shut, but not locked. The door was jammed and it wouldn't open. It was a weird looking door too. And what was even more strange was what he told us what was on the other side. Apparently the door opened no nowhere. It was like one of those Winchester Mystery House doors. So we were talking to a jammed, shut door that led to nowhere.

Things to remember about people:

-Unless they are suffering themselves, People will always care about the health and well being of others before their own well being.

-People will always care more abou money than their health.

-People will always procrastinate and put things off until the last minute.

-People rarely care about the future -mostly just the present and the past.

3 comments:

  1. Not surprised by Shane's reaction.

    As for your first conclusion about people --- I've never seen this before. The rest of your conclusions seem spot on, however.


    12

    ReplyDelete
  2. I met with other people today -other friends and they thanked me for showing them WFG. They needed financial help. Shane is insane.

    ReplyDelete