Friday, October 21, 2011

Hard Theorem

Wisdom decided to wap me upside the head this morning.

And thusly I present unto thee: The Hard Theorem.

Everything in life that is Hard/Difficult/Challenging is Worth Doing.

This line of reasoning seem to be repeating itself these days and now it's being repeated by me to you.

Is it easy to learn French? -Speaking from personal experience, no.

Is it easy to talk to your boss about asking for a raise you think you honestly deserve. -No.

Is it easy to run a marathon when you've never done one before? -Nope.

Most people see the "No" and that becomes their answer when they ask themselves, "Will I do this?"

The question is never, "Can I do this?" because most people are willing to admit they are Capable of doing that thing. But actually seeing that capability through usually comes up as a NO.

This is because what is Easy/ Comfortable/ Convenient/ Courage is always less challenging than Effort/ Risk/ Discomfort/ Inconvenience/ Fear.

It's easy to sit on a couch and eat potato chips. To actually strive for something you have to struggle through -that's hard.

Hard = Growth = Learning = Life

Easy = No Change =No Progress = No Growth = No Learning =No Life

I'm pretty sure we were put on this planet to LIVE, not coast by.

People will never be satisfied with themselves and their lives if they never strive for more. I think that's why people like money so much. Its something that adds to the Easy and Convenient things in life, but you have to strive to obtain Money to achieve the Easy. So people feel like they are accomplishing something if they can achieve money to get more Easy. It's an illusion they lose themselves in. It's like lifting weights because you really want that break to sit on the couch and watch T.V. to relax from the effort put into your exercise. It's weird.

Last night I met a girl named Antonia. She always "breaks the floor" at the WFG meetings. When it's time for the training to begin she is the one that gives the opening speech to welcome everyone and explain what the company is to the new guests. She was not assigned this role -like Toast Masters there are roles people are asked to volunteer to fill for each meeting.

Someone always needs to be helping guests and associates sign in at the front desk. Someone always needsto be showing the guests around the office so they get a brief intro into what the office looks like and who works there. Someone always needs to be welcoming people into the"mozone" room where everyone mingles and talks before things officially get started. Someone always needs to be prepping the presentation room by making copies of the papaers the guests need to fill out.

Was I was talking to Antonia, i told her i was in Toast Masters and actually completed my 10th speech from the CC manual and would now be moving onto the Advanced Speaker manual. She told me since I was so good at public speaking I hould break the floor. My mind was like, Oh sh*t. I talked myself up as a competent speaker and now she thinks I'm capable of leading the intro speech. Danger Will Robinson, Danger!

I immidately started making excuses: "Well I don't know the speech you guys do for the intro, I would need to memorize it" (This was a true, but was a convenient excuse none the less). She told me she could get me a copy of the speech. She then told me how she had worked on memorizing the speech for a couple years and never volunteered to speak it. Then when the mai leaders were out of town she was the only one there who new it and so it was kind of lik someone saying, "Please help my friend is choking, Is anyone a doctor in the room?!" So he had to speak. She was nervous, but after she did it 3 or 4 times she became a pro ad is now a seasoned opener. Unfortunately no one else knows the speech so it's hard for her to pass the torch onto someone new.

I was inspired by her story and decided it was something I should do. The more I thought about it and the Hard Theorem the more I realized: I should do it Because it's challenging.

Most people make excuses, not changes. I dont want to be one of those losers who always says "I don't want to do it because it's difficult". It's implied doubt from fear of failure. It's insecurity speaking and if you want to overcome insecurity you have to tell it to shu up and stop co-piloting your life. Take the wheel and drive.

I Will do it Because it is Challenging. I Need to Grow just as surely as I Need to Live.

1 comment: