Tuesday, September 6, 2011

In Defense of and in Argument Against Witchcraft

I actually had to bog down and do a little research on this one. The things I do to prove a point...

Firstly, I had to look up the Pentagram situation because it confuses the heck out of me whether it's good or bad.


This doesn't really look Satanic... especially with all the hearts on it... I'm surprised rainbows, unicorns, and moon beams weren't added.

As it turns out Pentagrams have been used since Ancient Greek times. It has been used in numerous ways in various cultures to represent similar things -usually the 5 elements: Spirit, Water, Fire, Earth, Air. Wiccans use it as a symbol for their religion -like Christians use the cross, and Jews have used it for the Star of David. Christians themselves have used it to represent the 5 wounds of Jesus. Even Chinese traditions have used it -again focusing on the 5 elements -only instead of using "Spirit" they use "Metal".

Now where the Pentagram's meaning deviates into Satanism is when two points are projecting upwards, instead of the one like shown above. Essentially a pentagram turned at an angle. It is suppose to attract sinister forces because it overturns the natural order of things and shows the mastery of matter over spirit. The 2 points on the pentagram pointing up are associated with the Goat Horns of Satan and Black Magic.

They say the traditional pointed way is actually pointing to heaven where wisdom and serenity can be found. When it's turned with two oints facing up, perversion and evil result.

Now that we've established that pentagrams are not intrinsically evil, but can be used for evil when perversed from it's original good intent, let's talk about witchcraft.

There are 3 kinds of witches. We'll get the Satanists out of the way first since most people are somewhat familiar with that one.

Because of things like Malleus Maleficarum, which was used in the 1600s during the Inquisition era, many people don't take witchcraft or witches seriously since so many innocent people were accused of it and were tortured and often burned alive for thir "crimes". However, there were in fact "Witches" or Satanist doing some pretty F*d up things back then and throughout time.

1. The Ram Inn in England. A messed up place. It use to be a "place of worship" -but not the good kind. They actually dug in the basement and found the bones of children who were sacrificed in Satanic rituals. Carvings throughout the inn also have Satanic symbolism and a which was said to reside in one of the upper rooms for many years. The place is clearly haunted by some of those lingering dark energies and spirits. I would not go there.

2. Bobby Mackey's -near Tennesee? -somewhere around there. In the 1800s a group of satanists beheaded a girl and threw her head down a well. She, some demons, and a few other spirits haunt their now. There have been several cases of possession that occurred there and people being harmed. A couple murders actually took place right outside the music lounge in the 80s. I would not go there.

3. Paviglia, Italy -don't know if I'm spelling that right. It's a little island south of Venice that none of the locals will visit. Not only was the site of the crematorium where they would take unknowing people suffering from the plague to be burned. Not only was it a place where a sadistic doctor tortured his patients. It was also the site of devil worship. I would not go there. Ever.

So Satanist do messed up things that often hurt themselves, hurt others, and pretty much contaminate the entire area in which their rituals are performed.

The Second kind of Witch is what is known as a Wiccan or Wicca. It's essentially pagain witchcraft developed in the 1950s. Wiccans believe that the whole cosmos is alive- including us, this planet, and everything on it. They also believe there is a Divine source of it all since there "is no manifestation without polarization" -something doesn't come from nothing. Traditioally they believe this Divine source to be God or gods/goddesses.

They also believe in reincarnation and karma to some extent. It's like a Pagan-Buddhist hybrid. They consider "Magic" they use to be "the science and art of causing change to occur in conformity with will" or "the science of the control of the secret forces of nature". They consider these forces to be supernatural. Wiccans cast spells during rituals to make changes in their physical environment through the summoning of these natural spirits. They use it for healing, fertility, protection, and banishing negative forces. They call this white magic -unlike the conept of black magic which is associated with the dark occult and Satanists.

They don't have a strict moral code, but they do believe: "and it harm none, do what ye will". They focus on minimizing harm to theirselves and others.  They also believe on the Law of Threefold Return: Whatever positive or negative action you do it will come back 3 times stronger to you -3 for Mind, Body, Spirit. So if you do unto others with harm, 3X geater harm will be done unto you.


Personally I think Wicca's a little too hippie for my taste, but I can't disagree with anything they're doing -except maybe the multiple gods thing. They call them deities, but really they're just nature spirits or natural forces they call upon to do good. My notion is, good spirits (not souls or anything, but natural elemental spirits or forces) and bad spirits (like demons) exist. If you go out of your way to call on them, they will come. I don't think exact rituals are required, mostly just the belief and others joining in. I don't think humans are smart enough mentally or spiritually to be consorting with these sorts of entities. Best to leave them alone. It's like someone trying to go up to a bee hive to get honey -unless you're a professional or really know what you're doing, don't bother.

Then there's the Third kind of Witch -The Fantasy/Imaginary/Story Tale/Made-Up/Stereotyped witch that we all know and love. This is the one used during Halloween and on funny T.V. shows. You really think parents would be dressing their kids up like Satanists? No. Our culture has developed this third kind of which because the first 2 are essentially non-existant in the majority of American's minds. Nobody thinks about them. They aren't exactly an outstanding presence in society. It's kind of like Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny -made up concepts and traditions based on things taken from the past that no one can recall.

We can actually look at T.V. shows and movies and make the distinction between the three witches.

Evil Witches represented that either directly refer to Satan as their "master" or they do evil unto others:


Believe it or not the witchs referred to Satan as their master and tried "sucking the lives out of little children.

Definitely a Satanic witch who "reportedly" slaughtered men in sacrifice to the Devil in the movie.

As I said in a previous post, this show is badass. It's pretty interesting because Sam and Dean Winchester will use the "good pentagram" to capture demons possessing people, and demons will use the "bad pentagram" to perform rituals. The show also refers to witches as Satanists.

Wicca Witches:
There isn't much refrence to them that I'm aware of. But there was an episode of Boston Legal where a Wicca mother and a Christian mother were suing a school principal for hosting a Halloween party at the school and she, the principal, would dress up like a Witch like the one from Oz. The Wicca mother argued it was not good for her daughter to see witches represented in such a stereotyped way. The Christian mother said it was a Satanic refrence. The Principal won.

The Stereotyped/ Fantasy/ Make believe witch:



(Not Satanic -I don't remember Lucifer having flying monkeys)


They're friends with a werewolf and a vampire. It's a good show.

Actually, Harry doesn't do any rituals. He says a word and Bam! his wand does magic. More magician or wizard than Witch.



4 comments:

  1. See? Still can't let it go. I repeat what I said to you before --- deep within Neptune's waters, there is an inconsistency within you regarding this. That stability within you, which is pure logic, won't let it go.

    Alright so, I have to reply.

    There are more kinds of witches than you list here.

    Check out the witches of Egypt in the Book of Genesis.

    Check out the witches of Babylon in the Book of Daniel.

    Check out Jewish Mysticism as displayed in the book of Acts.

    And if you don't trust the Bible regarding these witches/magicians/sorcerors, then look at other sources about this subject.

    You actually touched upon what witchcraft is in this blog --- witchcraft is the practice of getting spiritual power/wisdom outside of from God.

    Christianity also teaches that although it may not be stated as such, all power that is not from God is then from the devil. Cover it up with words like "earth" or "mother nature" or "wicca" or whatever --- it is, according to Christianity, different cover-ups of the same source --- the devil/Satan.

    Those witches who say their power is from Satan are just being honest about it.

    If Harry Potter isn't a witch/sorcerer, then he should use a different name. Like "Jedi". But no --- because the Occult is popular these days, and because J.K. Rowling likes the subject, that name was used for a purpose.

    You've never given me an answer my question: "What if a kids show was about a group of kids called Murderers, who went to Murder school...but didn't really do real murders? Would you have a problem with the name of their school and the message it gives to kids?"

    12

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why would they call themselves Murderers and go to a school of Murder if they didn't actually murder? If they didn't murder, then no it wouldn't be immoral since no one was being harmed. It would be a little disturbing and out-there, but as long as no one was hurting anybody -technically not immoral.

    I think the reason I can't let it go is beause

    1. You pride yourself on being open-minded and highly educated -and I agree, and respect those qualities in you. But when you start saying "Harry Potter is relating to devil worship in some way" you sound like those ignorant morons on street corners waving signs that say, "Harry Potter is Satan and Owls are the Devil's Bird". I really don't want you associated with those individuals or heading down that road.

    2. You misjudge me and write me off as some Harry Potter fanatic. Not cool. My step-sister and her husband recently told me they weren't into Harry Potter and didn't and to see the movies because they didn't think they would like them. I was like, "ok". I honestly don't care if people aren't into the movie- or any other movie for that matter. However, it does bug me when people say I'm watching something immoral or doing something immoral that I know isn't immoral. It's like being accused of a crime you didn't commit. I belive the movie to be innocent in this case as well.

    3. It's frustrating that we agree on certain things, but you still aren't seeing my point. It feels like a failure on my part in conveying things to you so you can see what I see. Wicca -they're mostly hippies who could potetially get in trouble summoning forces in nature and ignoring God, but most of them just believe in positive energies and don't do much outside their own feelings that effect anything.
    But the "witches" of the media -Sabrina the Teenage Witch and Witches of Waverly Place -Disney's version of Harry Potter- have nothing to do with Satanism in their current context in which they are presented. To say otherwise is to risk ignorance. Youtry going up to people and honestly telling them Harry Potter is relative to Satanism and see how many people take you seriously.

    They tried doing that at a Green Day concert I went to once. People protesting the concert because they thought it was an immoral activity. I guess that means I've been corrupted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have the capacity to write great and long thoughts, and I enjoy them. But I do wonder about your capacity to fully receive my own thoughts. I feel at times as if you only truly read one paragraph of what I say.

    I have no problem writing only one paragraph at a time, if that's what it takes. But then I wouldn't be replying to you fully. So I hope you an truly take every paragraph I say here and consider it, because much of what I say here I've said before.

    It is silly for a bunch of kids to be called "Murderers" when they are not. But I think it's very ok for someone to have a problem with that title, because the name "murder" means something. It really does. So it's not a word to fool around with.

    Again, the reason why you don't view it as such is because you clearly don't view the word as meaning "total bad". You like to break it down and make up something akin to "innocent withcraft". To me, that's as impossible as "innocent murder". Do you see what I mean?

    1. I don't go on street corners and wave signs. I don't associate myself with those people. I never will. For you to think I would do so just because I have educated reasons why I don't like HP is like me thinking you will get into the fortune telling/1-800-psychic industry just because you speak of "universe" and zodiacs.

    2.I don't think it is immoral to like Harry Potter. If I did, I would preach it in my church. This entire debate between us began with me simply saying "I don't like it", and you immediately began criticizing me for not doing so. I'm merely defending myself. Perhaps my reasoning is hitting you personally, but that's not the case. My respect for you isn't diminished due to HP. And although I sense in you a desire to agree on most things, just as I would like to agree with you on most things, I'm ok with us not agreeing on this point. I think no less of you, and I hope you think no less of me.

    3. I can't expect you to believe in Biblical principles since you don't view the Bible as your moral authority. So when I say "all spiritual power that is not from God is from Satan (disguised or otherwise)", I don't expect you to believe me. You believe that Satan is just one force of many forces that can be tapped into. Ok, so be it. I respect your beliefs, but I don't see (in this context) a respect for mine.

    However, I do see in you a very rare trait --- you seek truth. So do I. That's why I'm confident that before we both die, be it through each other or not, we will end up with the same system of beliefs. Both of us will surely change our stands as time passes (due to one another, or not).

    12

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're funny. Yes I read ALL of the things you write in your paragraph. I agree with most of them. Although honestly I can see/ understand some of the thoughts you had that I wasn't agreeing with more clearly now with this last paragraph.

    I know you would never stand on street sides with those signs or associate with those people -but I was worried other people who don't know you as well would assume otherwise.

    I think I get where our views deviate more, and I'm cool with it.

    Fact is, few people I know would believe most of the things we've talked about and discussed openly and respectfully. I actually know a lot of people who would vouch for the Zodiac signs, but would be more skeptical listening to Christian theology. I also know people who ouldn't listen about any of my beliefs period because they believe theirs to be true 100% with no margin of error. They don't seek truth through others, only from "authorities" and books they read because they only trust their own minds -no one else's.

    Also I only comment on length when needed :)

    ReplyDelete