Monday, September 12, 2011

10 Years since 9/11

I meant to post this yesterday (Sunday), but forgot. This is the post I wrote after Osama Bin Laden was killed a few months ago:

Assassinated Bin Laden

Last Sunday it was announced that Bin Laden had been assassinated. Now everyone is either mocking his death or celebrating it. But I just couldn't find the heart to rejoice. What that man did was horrific and catastrophic. But I realize 2 things: People are usually rational. So either he was led to do those inhumane things out of insanity -for which he could not be blamed for if it was a mental disorder, a corrupt upbringing in brainwash, or he was rational and his own rationality somehow led him astray. People don't kill innocent people for no reason - unless they're violently insane -which is still a reason. I can't help but question what led him to do the things he did which he is now so hated for even in death.
 
How much control did he really have in what he was doing. I know he led his group, as Charles Manson led his, but to what extent did the circumstances in his life he had no control over lead to that extent of a point in cruelty? How can we be so quick to judge someone we never bothered to understand. All we seemed to know was that he was the enemy because he killed innocent people. Now he is dead and we celebrate it. How can we celebrate the death of someone who celebrated the deaths of others and Not call ourselves hypocrites? He needed to have his life ended -I know that. It should not have been for revenge though; it was to save future innocent lives from being taken. His life was ended to save lives. It is the lives of those who are now saved that I celebrate.

Looking back at World War 1 and 2, most people focus on the deaths of Nazis -who were said to be evil in in the flesh- by the hands of the soldiers who represented good and justice. I choose to focus on the lives that were saved: the millions of Jews rescued from being cast into genocide.

4 comments:

  1. The man killed countless people. Of course I rejoiced when he died. I didn't walk around on the street and wave flags over his death (I'll do that when ALL evil is abolished) but I certainly smiled when he got a bullet in his skull.

    *shrug*

    "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."

    When I see evil fall, I am happy.

    Everybody has rational reasons for doing anything. Saying the word "insane" is a cop out. But all of the rationale in the world can still be evil.

    He was an evil man. And he is dead.

    12

    ReplyDelete
  2. You *shrug* a lot. Your shoulders hurting or something?

    ReplyDelete
  3. My trainer has me doing something called "shoulder shrugs" to build up my traps. I'm getting really good at it and sometimes it comes through in my writing.


    ...


    12

    ReplyDelete