Friday, July 22, 2011

Speech for Next Wednesday

Soooo... I have to give a speech next Wednesday for my public speaking group. So keep in mind this will be given in front of people. (The visuals will be included) Here 'tis:

INTRO:     Maybe I’m slow. I’ve always been a little behind the trends and common practices. I struggled to let go of my CDs for an MP3 player.
And when it comes to things like Mortgage… I’m still not sure what that is. I think I’m just going to continue living in an apartment like I do now. Not the same one though, don’t worry, I’m going to upgrade.
And when it comes to things like Health, I’ve been just as clueless. I’m young. I had appendicitis once. And I’ve had a cold before. But getting old and having health issues are way off in the distance. And I’m not worried, because I know I’m going to be a cool old person.
My generation is going to have the most awesome old people that ever lived, and I’m including Albert Einstein in that.
My mom’s generation is already getting the party started.
My mom’s best friend recently left a comment on my mom’s Facebook page stating:
When me and my BEST friend are 72, and we live in a retirement home, we are gonna trash the place then get kicked out Lol… best friends for life! : ) Colon parenthesis, colon parenthesis.
And then I commented under that: And I'll be the one they call to pick you 2 up. "Jessica, they're acting crazy again..."
Then right under that my mom put: Yup that’s us! Top of Form

So I don’t know about your generation, but mine’s going to put the “hip” in hip replacement. We won’t be sitting there watching old movies, we’ll be playing Guitar hero on the Xbox. Ber-nare-na-na-na-er-errrrr-eeeerrrr
Unfortunately our health depleting is the one downside to our future. So today I’d like to share some info I’ve recently found out that made the issue of health and how to preserve it a lot clearer for me.
Part1:  Cells = YOU

Cells are like Tires. Tires get worn down over time by traveling long distances, heat from the road, gravel, air leaks…
There are 3 main things that break cells down:
For cells, there are 3 main things that wear them down.

(1) The first is foods low in nutrients
How do you guys like my artistry?- Yah I’m an Art Studio Major.
Who here shops at a grocery store- be it Savemart or Costco…?
Who here makes their own food from scratch out of their own garden or farm?
The problem with store-bought food is that most of it is: mechanically-processed, packaged with preservatives, artificial flavors, sweeteners, colors…
It’s gotten to the point where you can’t even trust Spaghetti O’s anymore. So unless you’re making every meal you eat by scratch- your probably not getting the nutrients your body needs, which is a big issue. There was a doctor who actually did an experiment with cells once. When you take a cell out of the human body, it dies within seconds. This guy, Dr. Wentz, got cells to live outside the human body for 14 months. Guess how he did it. He gave the cells in a nutrient sheath. When the cells had all the nutrients they needed they could survive much longer.


(2) The second thing that depletes cells is: Radiation
The sun beats down every day from above. Unfortuantely it also getting reflected up from below on streets and pavement. Grass is good because it absorbs the sun’s energy coming down, but pavement doesn’t. Just look at the difference between carpet and a table. Carpet absorbs the light and you can’t see it. Table surfaces reflect light back up.
And when you wander outside it’s like walking in a microwave every day. Radiation breaks cells down.
(1) The third thing that depletes cells is: Pollution

There’s lots of toxins and pollution in the air from Cars, Factories, Smog, Power Plants…
This pollution gets into our system and slowly pollutes us.
That’s not looking like a very happy cell is it?
The main point is: When Cells Break Down and Degenerate, it causes tissues-organs-systems-and you to Degenerate.  
For example: If you expose your skin to the sun too much for too long a time out of habit, your cells will break down and you will likely get skin cancer.
Part2:         So What Can Save Cells from Depleting? Well we can’t exactly stop radiation. I mean, we can tell he sun to not shine so brightly, but I don’t think he’ll listen. And we can’t exactly stop pollution on our own right this instant- that one’s going to take time and some societal effort. But we can control the nutrients going into our body that help our cells against these two other things we can’t change.
Exercise and eating right is always good - and getting healthy foods rich in Calcium, Protein, and other Nutrients.
Unfortunately that isn’t enough to combat with the radiation, oxidation, toxins that wear cells down every day
This is why people need to take nutritional supplements. It gives cells the strength to withstand all these issues.

But of course there can be issues with nutritional supplements as well. Because nutritional supplements are not food and not technically a drug  they fall outside of the FDA’s jurisdiction (unless they are harmful to consumers).
The Honor System is therefore in place and it is up to companies to hold themselves accountable for making sure what they say is in the bottle is actually what’s in the bottle.
When companies manufacture products that are not thoroughly regulated and they know consumers won’t do research to verify their product’s quality -they fudge facts about their product’s quality in advertising and you get low-to-no quality products that are a little better than placebos.
The Good news is there’s the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), which regulates advertising for supplements to ensure no false claims are being made in advertising.
There’s also an agency called the United States Pharmacopeia (USP) that tries to certify that products are upholding certain standards –but the USP does not have broad, legal recognition in the U.S.
Then there’s NSF International, which is the one I t most stock in. the NSF certifies whether supplements meet Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) standards. You can actually go on their website and see if a company selling nutritional supplements has been certified.
I did some research on some known brands and found that: Kirkland nutritional supplements have not been approved (although their dishwashers and food equipments have). Centrum was also not certified. GNC was interesting: Out of the 185 brands sold and marketed on their website, only 5 were NSF approved –and none of those brands were GNC itself. One A Day was there –but only for their Men’s Health supplements from Bayer Healthcare LLC.
Another thing I found kind of upsetting was that: NBYT Inc-which is the company that makes Kirkland Brand Supplements sold at Costco-was taken to court after their NatureSmart products sold Disney Chewable Vitamins for Kids that were found to be in violation of several FTC legislations.
So you need to do your homework to make sure that what you get is what you’re paying for. Exercise, Eat Right, and Take the Right Nutritional Supplements.



No comments:

Post a Comment